EVA GeForce GTX 275 CO-OP PhysX Edition or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefishstick

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I'm needing to upgrade my video card; i'm looking to spend around $350 and am stuck between getting an EVGA GTX 280 or the GTX 275 CO-OP PhysX Edition. I like the GTX 280 but also like the idea of dual GPUs on the GTX 275 CO-Op. It's been awhile since i've shopped so any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Neither. An ATI 5850 costs $300, and outperforms the GTX285 by 15%

It also supports dx11, eyefinity, runs cooler, and uses less power than any of Nvidia's counterpark.

The GTX275 co-op is only marginally better than a regular GTX275. The performance increase in games and applications is negligible and not worth the price.

If you want Nvidia's physX, get yourself a 5850 and then get a 8x00 Nvidia card for physX with an older or hacked driver.
Neither. An ATI 5850 costs $300, and outperforms the GTX285 by 15%

It also supports dx11, eyefinity, runs cooler, and uses less power than any of Nvidia's counterpark.

The GTX275 co-op is only marginally better than a regular GTX275. The performance increase in games and applications is negligible and not worth the price.

If you want Nvidia's physX, get yourself a 5850 and then get a 8x00 Nvidia card for physX with an older or hacked driver.

Solution

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Unless you really want physx I would go with an ATI 5850 (DX11, faster, more power efficient,etc) for that price range. Between the two you listed though I would go with the gtx 275 co-op because it will offload physx to the gts 250 which is the second GPU on the card and it is essentially a lower clocked gtx 285.

The 260 and the 295 were the only higher end cards to survive the introduction of the 57xx and 58xx cards from ATI....the 57xx has been a bust but the 58xx essentially rendered the 275 / 285 uncompetitive.....the 295 still lives in the place between the 5870 and 5970 and the 260's price has skyrocketedd, driven up by the poor showing of the 57xx cards.

I'm gonna suggest waiting 5 weeks or so to see what pops out from nVidia .... regardless of whether or not fermi provides a buy option, it's should drive down the price of all the cards from the increased competition.

yes, but you'll have to use an older driver or a cracked driver since Nvidia disabled physX for systems running ATI cards in their recent updates... =/

thefishstick

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
So i checked out benchmarks for the ATI 5850's and like what i see; now the question is which one to get. I'm looking at a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5850, GIGABYTE Radeon HD 5850, and a XFX Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) XXX. I noticed the XFX is a little bit more but is it worth the extra monies?

Status
Not open for further replies.