Question Event 6008 - The previous system shutdown... was unexpected.

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
Yeah, this one.
Long story short. My PC kicked it 9 months ago (it just wouldn't power up anymore), and life events prevented me from rebuilding.

While I've been hiding in my bunker I was going to rebuild, but with parts scarce I decided to just scavenge a new build and install my old drives cleaning out and replacing drivers (yeah, I know it should have been a clean install, but it isn't. I hate to do that twice in the same year.)
As a result it's the best of what I have still functioning. Except I get these unexpected shutdowns.

They're never while I'm at the computer, so I don't know what happens. The ONLY event log entry is when I boot notifying me of the unexpected shutdown (which I figured out on my own): The previous system shutdown at 11:31:20 AM on ‎5/‎20/‎2020 was unexpected.
There's no other log entries at the time of the actual event. Nada. Zip. When Windows boots it doesn't offer safe mode or scans or anything. It just boots normally... which you wouldn't think would happen if it was just a bzzzt-off.

Everything I'm using was in the working system or the one that failed.
From the failed system I'm using:
The HDDs... which I've been using plugged into another PC for the past 9 months.
RAM which passes MemTest86+ cleanly
Videocard: Untestested. (Edit: Furmarked for 10 minutes. Seems okay.)
PSU: Don't even know how to test.

The rest is from the PC I'd been using for the past few months. I'd swap out the PSU as a test, except my only other functioning one is too low wattage unless I pull the video card. and use the APU graphics.

I'm assuming the problem is the power supply, just because I've nearly run out of any other ideas.
Can a PSU act like this and would it be such an eventless shutdown?

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
When you put this all back together did you clean and repaste the cooler? Temps?

It may be helpful to us to list your full current spec.

If you didn't do a clean install on the reconfigured system I would likely start there behind the paste question.

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
The motherboard/CPU/case are unchanged from a previous computer build. I didn't see a need to remove and reseat the heatsink.
I did originally plan to install Win10 as an inplace update just because it would toss out all the old drivers for Win10 ones, but I get a strange error when I try that so it would need to be a clean install.

Not a bad idea though. It might be worth dropping in a new drive, doing a fresh version of Windows and just running it like that for awhile. Even if I go back to what I have now with random shutdowns in the short term, it would rule out the hardware for later use. I was planning to bring my PSU to my next build (Ryzen 5).

Currently (w=working system, d=from dead system):
AMD A8-7600 (stock HSF only because I can't o/c this) (w)
Biostar Hi-Fi A70U3P Micro ATX FM2+ (w)
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866 (d)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200RPM (w)
Western Digital Black 1TB 7200 RPM (d)
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM (d)
Pioneer BDR-209DBK BD/DVD/CD Writer (d)
U.S. Robotics V92 (hard) PCI fax/modem (d)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 (factory O/C) 2GB DDR5 (d)
Rosewill Capstone Modular 650W 80 Plus Gold (which I just noticed is still under warranty. I DEFINITELY need to rule this in or out.) (d)

Last edited: