Event ID: 256

gus

Just configured a brand new laptop with Windows 2000 and am getting an Event
ID: 256. A Google search turned up several other folks having the same
problem. And the same response is given in that this is a non-critical
error and can be ignored. However, no where is there a remedy to stop it
from happening. From what I can tell, the only thing that is a problem is
the lag time of about 10-15 seconds when pressing CLTL-ALT-DEL to log in.
Yes, this isn't a long time to wait, but it shouldn't happen at all. The
rest of the Event Error is: "Time out sending notification of device
interface change to window of "". Clear as mud. Can someone please offer
a legitimate fix for this? Many thanks.

I'm working on updating our company images and I'm getting the same
error and lag on CTRL-ALT-DELETE. I use Sysprep because our images
work with multiple Dell Latitude Dseries laptops. Has anyone else ran
into this problem or have a solution? I can't figure out what
software/device is causing this issue.

Thanks,

--
ACEaboveall

I found out what was causing this error. The MS04-011 security update
was causing this. After uninstalling this update everything was
working fine. I'll probably be working with Microsoft on this issue.
I'll keep everyone posted.

--
ACEaboveall