Question Event ID 41(63) - Kernel Power failure - on brand new system

itsonlydanny

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Hello,

I have an infuriating problem. About a month or so ago I got a brand new, custom-built, PC (see my tech specs below in the signature). For a couple of days it was fine, but then I started to get random re-boots and the freezing of my PC - requiring a hard reboot. When I looked it up in Event Viewer, it was always the same message - "Critical - Kernel Power - Event ID 41 (63) - This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly". Obviously I Googled around for advice, including threads on this forum. One of the very first suggestions was to change the Power & Sleep settings and disable Fast Start Up. - which I did. When I came to the Power & Sleep settings, I essentially disabled all the hibernation and sleep modes, and the screensaver - the PC is always on. Yes, I had no more random reboots - but the freezing and Event ID 41 continued.

Getting a bit paranoid, I thought my web browser might be the culprit - Brave. Many people have complained, rightly or wrongly, that Brave was crashing or freezing their PC - some recommended disabling Hardware Acceleration - which I did. However, no change - so I switched to Firefox as my default search engine. Everything seemed alright for a day, then the PC started to freeze again - Event ID 41(63) was back again.

Now the PC always freezes once a day, occasionally twice. Curiously, it never happens when playing a game - I can play Cyberpunk 2077 or Death Stranding for hours and hours with no problem. It is only when I'm web browsing that I get the freezing. A bit odder still, the freezing nearly always occurs in the morning, a few times in the early afternoon - never in the evening (yet). Windows 10 and all my drivers are fully up to date.

Any ideas?

DANNY

Last edited:

itsonlydanny

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Hello,

I have an infuriating problem. About a month ago or so, I got a brand new, custom-built, PC. For a couple of days it was fine, but then I started to get random reboots and the freezing of my PC - requiring a hard reboot..

When I looked it up in Event Viewer, it was always the same message - "Critical - Kernel Power - Event ID 41 (63) - This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly". Obviously I Googled around for advice. One of the very first suggestions was to change the Power & Sleep settings and disable Fast Startup - which I did. When it came to the Power & Sleep settings, I essentially disabled all the hibernation and sleep modes, and the screensaver - the PC is always on.

Yes, I had no more random reboots - but the freezing and Event ID 41 continued. Getting a bit paranoid, I thought my web browser might be the culprit - Brave. Many people have complained, rightly or wrongly, that Brave was crashing or freezing their PC - some recommended disabling Hardware Acceleration - which I did. However, no change - so I switched to Firefox as my default search engine. Everything seemed alright for a day, then the PC started to freeze again - Event ID 41(63) was back again. Getting even more paranoid, I thought for a while that the mouse might be the problem - so used a different one, but it made no difference. I also used a different power cable, but no change.

Now the PC always freezes once a day, occasionally twice. Sometimes this presents a problem like losing all your log-in details for Amazon, eBay, etc. Or lose part of a Word Document.

Curiously, it never happens when playing a game - I can play Cyberpunk 2077 or Death Stranding for hours and hours with no problem. It is only when I'm web browsing that I get the freezing. A bit odder still, the freezing nearly always happens in the morning, only a few times in the early afternoon - never in the evening (yet). Windows 10 and all my drivers are fully up to date.

Obviously, spoke too soon - this morning I got a random reboot whilst using Microsoft Edge!

Any ideas?

DANNY

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021
I have the same problem. Once or twice a day absolutely random freeze. I noticed that it happens mostly when the PC is idle or I do something not very HW demanding.

I tried the following more or less obvious stuff, problem still wasnt solved -

1. Cleaning all dust inside the case
  2. Disabling auto-restart
  3. Disabling fast power up
  4. Setting power usage to high instead of recommended
  5. Updated every driver in the PC
  6. Uninstalled all audio drivers except one so there is no duplicity
  7. Measured the power unit. Seems fine.
  8. Temperatures are perfectly fine
  9. Run tests for disc and RAM, both are fine
  10. Checked corrupted Windows files

I am absolutely lost about the cause and the solution of this. There seems to be no obvious pattern in the freezes and it NEVER happens when gaming.

Jacklope

Reputable
Jan 17, 2021
I have the same problem. Once or twice a day absolutely random freeze. I noticed that it happens mostly when the PC is idle or I do something not very HW demanding.

I tried the following more or less obvious stuff, problem still wasnt solved -

1. Cleaning all dust inside the case
  2. Disabling auto-restart
  3. Disabling fast power up
  4. Setting power usage to high instead of recommended
  5. Updated every driver in the PC
  6. Uninstalled all audio drivers except one so there is no duplicity
  7. Measured the power unit. Seems fine.
  8. Temperatures are perfectly fine
  9. Run tests for disc and RAM, both are fine
  10. Checked corrupted Windows files
I am absolutely lost about the cause and the solution of this. There seems to be no obvious pattern in the freezes and it NEVER happens when gaming.
i though it was the ram, maybe your drive has problems.Install Hard Disk Sentinel (works on ssd's too) and see if your drive is the problem.

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
I had this problem on my old Mobo Asus P5E64 Workstation Evolution. I got the same error events. Turns out, Mobo capacitor was half broken.
After replacing mobo, everything was great.

Oct 11, 2021
I just did OCCT stress test and it showed ''CPU power limit exceeded''. Throttling and temperature is fine.
PC froze immediately after the test was over.
I ordered a new power unit and will let you guys know if it solved the problem.