Event ID 41 - while playing games

pruthviraj

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Guys, I am facing a very weird issue right now.

I built a gaming pc with MSI 970A-G43 motherboard having Zotac GTX 660 graphic cards & Gigabyte Superb E620 GENUINE 600Watt SMPS. For around 4 years it worked as expected, but last year the Motherboard got damaged. So I replaced it with Asus 970 Gaming Pro aura.
Within few months, while playing games like assassin's creed, the machine was shutdown automatically with
Kernel Power Event 41, having BugcheckCode as 0 value. This happens several times in a day but particularly while playing the game only.

After certain researching, I tried re-installing drivers, updating OS, changing few parameters here and then, replaced the CMOS batter etc. but the problem got worse. Now sometimes, PC did not start at the first attempt while pressing the power button. I need to switch it off and restarting again by power button several time. This behavior is completely random. The Restart button stopped working at all.

I never overclocked anything. The temperature also remains in control.

I am a computer programmer and having very little knowledge on hardware, so I am now doubting that my PSU (Gigabyte Superb E620 GENUINE 600Watt SMPS) is not sufficient enough for the new mother board (Asus 970 Gaming Pro aura). Can you guys help me on this ? Is it because of old/damaged PSU ? Do I have to buy a new one ? If yes, then which one you recommend the most for Asus 970 Gaming Pro aura ?

Any help is appreciated.. !! Thanks..

== My current PC configuration ===
Asus 970 Pro gaming Aura
Zotac GTX 660 Dual Silencer 2GB DDR5 Graphic Card,
AMD 4.4 GHz AM3+ FX 6-Core Edition FX-6300 (FD6300WMHKBOX)
Corsair Value DDR3 8 GB Desktop RAM (8GB Value 1600 C11 (CMV8GX3M1A1600C11))
Gigabyte Superb E620 GENUINE 600Watt SMPS 600W
Seagate 2TB Desktop Internal Sata Drive (ST2000DM001)

Sam_216

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Hello fellow programmer :) so a few things for you.

when buying new parts for a PC you should always use https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/. This is because you'll build up a list, and in this list it checks for compatibility issues,and shows the power requirement of your build so far etc etc.

I've done this for your exact build - First of all your system is only using around 334W of power, so your power supply is completely capable, so it may be a faulty PSU.

Other than that, the compatibility checker put forward this potential incompatibility -

"Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions."

it *may* be something to do with that, I would replace the PSU with another 600W one and see if that helps, if not then look at your CPU or motherboard

pruthviraj

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

Thanks for your reply...!!

I did the same exercises with https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ and then have purchased different components. Additionally, I got confirmation from Asus 970 Pro gaming motherboard specs that it works fine with AMD FX-6300.

Quick update:

After observing HWMonitor (CPUID) for some times while running "UserBenchMark", I observed that most of the benchmark tests passed, but as soon as it starts tests related to my graphics card GPU Powers goes to more than 98% but the GPU temperature remains at 51%. At this very point, my machine got restarted.
. This is happening everytime, same way... !!

Looks like something goes wrong when GPU start consuming additional powers. Let me know if this sounds familiar or you already have resolved it..

Waiting for help..!!

pruthviraj

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Quick update... !!

I tried following things Before I will go to purchase new PSU (Because I constantly having a feel that there is nothing wrong with my PSU because problems were started suddenly after couple of Windows 10 update).

1. I opted to "start fresh with clean installation of windows 10" using this utility provided by Microsoft - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh.
-- once done, this didn't solve the problem as I still got Event ID 41 error while playing the same game. Also, running benchmark tests were also resulted in computer restart. Same way.

2. Then I opted to update my BIOS using ASUS utility with latest version.
-- Somehow this stabilized the error for a while. After this step, I was able to successfully run benchmark tests several times and PC was not getting restarted.
-- But, while playing a game, problem started happening again. So, I narrow it down to GPU.

3. As It looks to me a problem of GPU, I used DDU from http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html to uninstall my graphics drivers completely and wanted to update them from the scratch.
-- After this step, I played the game with full resolution last night for around 2-3 hours and
my pc was not getting restarted. :bounce:

Now, I am planning to keep testing it for several days with more and more hours of playing the game, will keep you all posted.

Hope this helps to others as well. Stay tuned for further updates.. !! :)

Mar 12, 2018

Hey Pruthviraj,

How is it going now? DId you end of upgrading your PSU? If so, did that resolve the issue with your kernel 41 while gaming?

reason I ask is I have an rx480 GPU, and I noticed I get kernel 41 errors when playing Assasins creed. It random,, something it be playing 10 mins into the game. The other 20-30 mins.

However, with clean Windows 10 install, on brand new SSD that I swapped to, , ran 5 passes of Memtest for my RAM (took 3 days), ran several CPU stress tests with Prime, tried different
PCIE slot of my motherboard, CPU fully tested through multiple CPU
benchmark test and passed everything--------> But I continue to get *Kernel
Power 41 *errors when playing games at low, medium, or high graphic
settings.

Not sure what else to try by I really suspect bad GPU because its only when gaming. I have Corsaid AX850i PSU, I doubt it is that because it seems I have enough power.

I may need to swap the GPU next and give it a try.

But please let me know how it is going on your end.

pruthviraj

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

Thanks for your points.

To say, problem is still not solved. I tried troubleshooting with different games, different tools and same issue again.

The only worry point is the randomness of this problem. I was able to play 3-4 hours of Ashes Cricket with > HD resolutions (1366x768) and it works like a charm. It was rainy season here in india (<22 Cels) and I thought because of cool atmosphere, it worked.
As soon as room temperature goes to >27, it started again.

I tried playing during night, without the cabin cover, under the ceiling Fan etc. etc. but nothing worked. I am now about to give up on further troubleshooting.

My ultimate conclusion is the faulty PSU. I tried logging the CPU/GPU temperature while playing the game using MSI Afterburner and It continuously showing me LIM volatage & LIM power signals on the PC screen. I followedt this link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZx8PbFmeEM

So, PSU it is.. Now I will buy my New PSU and will keep you posted. Thanks..!!