Question Event ID 56 - ACPI 2/dwm.exe randomly shutting off PC when gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2023
I have an intel i9 10850k, Asus RTX 3060ti, Gigabyte Z490 Motherboard, GSkill 32 gb RAM sticks, Corsair power supply. I recently changed the GPU from EVGA 3080 to Asus 3060ti thinking it would resolve this issue. It happens randomly when I game in Valorant, and sometimes with Furmark stress test as well. The PC just shuts off, and either restarts on its own, or I have to restart it manually. Occasionally, i hear the game's sound, but no visuals. When I check event viewer, I see error about ACPI 2 Event ID 56:

The description for Event ID 56 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
ACPI 2

Before, with the EVGA 3080, I also got a dwm.exe stopped working issue ALONG WITH the black screen. I thought the GPU was the culprit, clearly it is not since I changed to a 3060ti and issue still exists. I also reinstalled windows, made sure drivers are up to date, reinstalled drivers - to no success. The issue ONLY happens when I game/stress test. I use the PC for hours for work and nothing happens.
Could it be my power supply or the power cables ? Or could it be the Motherboard or Processor ? I have my PC connected to a power strips along with the 2 monitors, could that be the issue maybe with the PC not getting power ? Any suggestions is appreciated.

Jan 24, 2023

Hi, thank you for your reply. I did view that post, and the solution eventually was to replace the OEM GPU, which I did. Also, that post focuses on the dwm.exe crash. I have not seen that error particularly now after changing the GPU from 3080 to 3060ti. Now still, i see the ACPI 2 crash, but yes, similar issue of black screen and shutting down still exists :( . GPU has already been replaced, idk what to do now :( .

Jan 24, 2023
all driver and cpu chipset are the latest one also did you try memtest ram also check in the event viewer if there is any power one .

Hi,
Funny you should mention RAM, i just saw a post elsewhere about games crashing due to XMP being disabled in the Gigabyte motherboard BIOS. I enabled it just now, i did not realize my memory was running at 2600MHZ, now it is running at 3600MHZ. I do not know if that will fix the issue however.

I have not done any other checks for RAM performance, but i do know i have the latest drivers for everything.

Jan 24, 2023
Enabling XMP did NOT help, the issue occurred again today just now :( . I am stumped , i initially thought it was the GPU, but with a new GPU also same issue.

Jan 24, 2023
I tried memtest, all results came back as PASSED. So, GPU was replaced from 3080 to 3060ti and RAM has passed, PSU or MoBo/CPU are left. Any thoughts would be appreciated :) .

Apr 27, 2023
Hello @nert10,
I don't know if we have the same issue, but I finally found a workaround for mine.
I have 2x8 DDR5 RAM and by default (when properly plugged in dual channel) they run at 4800 Mhz. I discovered that if I I plug them "incorrectly" (one next to the other for example) they run at 4533 Mhz and the crashes stop. You can also plug them in properly and activate XMP in the bios (factory designed OC settings for RAM) to make them run at 5200 Mhz speed and same result, the computer works as expected - no crashes.
For me the problem was the 4800 Mhz of the RAMs..

Hope it can help someone !

May 18, 2023
So i had same problem and this is what I tried.
1. reseat GPU
2. apply new thermal paste on GPU.
3. update drivers.
4. ran sfc /scannow
5. ran malwarebytes
6. Finally reinstalled windows

but none of them helped me.
Then after searching for too long I found the solution

1.) Disabled hardware accelerated GPU scheduling from settings (win10/11).
2.) Uninstall XboxGame Bar using this command.
a. Press Windows key + X and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)".
b. Type the following command and press Enter: Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay | Remove-AppxPackage

Status
Not open for further replies.