magikherbs

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Hi and good day all. :)

Right after I updated my graphics drivers from Catalyst 11.11 to 12.2, I noticed this once I enabled 'hidden devices', in device manager.
AOD error.jpg

As you can see, the new drivers are still using the previous version, 4.01, instead of 4.1.

Sure, a registry cleaner will or should fix this. But if you're like me and do not like using them, then here is how I fixed it without having to re install the drivers. (lucked/logic'ed out on the first attempt :p )

To check and see if you have this problem, go to the control panel, right click device manager and 'run as admin'. Then select view and click show hidden devices. If present, the non plug and play tab will be open and be easy to see. Right click the one labelled 4.01, choose 'uninstall' and DO NOT :non: reboot just yet.

Next, bring up the registry editor. Navigate to, HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SYSTEM/Controlset001/services and delete the AODdriver4.01 folder entry. There is one more in Controlset002/services. Get rid of that one too and reboot. :)

Once back on the desktop, the last thing to do is go back to the registry editor and delete all the remaining 4.01's.

Time to benchmark these babies ! lol

pEACe

highstream

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Thanks pEACe, that worked for me. In the last step, searching after reboot, all the remaining 4.01s were legacy entries and wouldn't delete. Do they really need to be? Event Viewer now clear of this error.

magikherbs

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Hi Highstream :) .. Good to hear and .. no probs.

Did you remove the right version ?

If you can't delete the folder, it means its still in use. Or you might not me logged in as Admin.

'pEACe' is not my name lol... I'm Magikherbs and soon to be Hippie Tech, if the forum mod(s) will make it so. ;)

nikhil0_9

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
After rebooting I cannot find anything that is AODDriver 4.01. Where should I be looking?

I even tried searching the registry and that didnt come up with anything? Does that mean I am good to go?

Also, does this cause the system to crash? I get the blue screen of death and thats why i started investigating what was wrong.

Thanks

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
How can I do this on Windows 8.1? This is happening to me too with AODDriver 4.3... There is no Non-Plig and Play tab for me in device manager, even though I view hidden and ran as admin.

MaxAlbatross

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014

I dont know, I use windows 7 so I can't help, I checked quickly on google and there doesn't seem to be any answer.

Maybe you could make a new thread about this since this one is old, im sure theres a lot of windows expert that can help you.

vinix

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012

Have you tried "sc delete AODDriver4.3" in Command Prompt with administrator privilege?

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I want to delete drive 4.2 and keep 4.3 right... I found one registry entry containing 4.2, deleted it, and kept AOD4.3 there. Hasn't happened since (3 days, going on 4 without it). I'll update here if it does again.

TomsBoot

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Hey magikherbs when you said

"Once back on the desktop, the last thing to do is go back to the registry editor and delete all the remaining 4.01's."

I didnt know what you meant by that. I went back to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SYSTEM and couldnt find anything else besides the folders of controlset 001 and 002

Thunder Cracker

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
First of all, please note that this is a x86 system driver and is used for AMD overdrive.

The AODDriver2.sys is installed in:
c:\Program Files\AMD\ATI.ACE\Fuel\amd64\aoddriver2.sys

While the registry points to:
c:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel\amd64\

located at: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AODDriver4.x.x]

This is usually caused by (older) driver installs that came with your graphics card or mobo. Older installations still used an ATI Technologies folder instead of the AMD folder where all newer versions of the drivers are installed.

This includes Windows auto driver install upon a fresh install of Windows up to Windows 8.1. These include Catalyst drivers v13.xx from 2012. Windows, btw, keeps insisting that these drivers are up-to-date.

Looking at an unpacked Catalyst package (14.12) this driver is no longer present (at least not in an x64 based package.)

KipNoxzema

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

This fixed a huge booting problem for me (Windows 7 Ultimate). I thought I had uninstalled AMD graphics drivers when going to NVIDIA. When booting, I could not login to Windows without it restarting. I suspected hardware, cooling, delayed startup problems, etc. If I waited 2 minutes after Windows was started, I could log in. I was pulling out what little hair I have left.
I finally found the culprit in Event Viewer and did these tasks. Problem solved. Thank you, Magik!

Donnylad

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

you my son is a ledged this use to turn my screen off and could not do anything with my pc