Event log service will not start - error 126

Status
Not open for further replies.

mctoshiba

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Hi All,
I'm having a problem with my wireless networking on XP which i've narrowed down to a probable specific issue with something called the "event Log Service". From browsing forums I think fixing this issue will fix my problem - either way it's an error message that sounds not nice!

Under Computer Management - Services - The Event Log is set to Automatic, but is not running. I try to start it, it gives the following error:
"Could not start the Event Log Service on Local Computer. Error 126: The specified module cannot be found". A similar error occurs with something called "Task Scheduler" in the same place - except this time the second part is "Error 1717: The interface is unknown".

Does anyone have any ideas re how to reinstall these components or otherwise fix this computer? I do not want to have to reinstall windows etc. Have tried finding an existing solution online but nothing works.

mctoshiba

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Hi All,
Wasn't getting any help from here unfortunately, but kept searching online and found an answer that worked and was quite simple. Thought i'd post it here incase anyone else with a similar problem comes across this thread.

Basically as it turns out the file eventlog.dll had been quarantined by my virus scanner - not sure why but it had.

I downloaded a new copy from here:
http://www.driverskit.com/dll/eventlog.dll/769.html

Then copied it into the C:\windows\system32\ folder. Someone on a site I found mentioned it would need to be "registered" but in my case I didn't need it.

I then went into the Computer Management console (right click on My Computer, select Manage, Services & Applications, then Services. Found Event Service, right clicked and selected Start. It started this time. I then sorted by the Startup Type filed and right clicked to start every one that said it was Automatic but wasn't running. All now started except two (mostly unrelated issue i believe).

Restarted the computer, and volia, all working again including my wireless networking!
Matt

lucyconnuk

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Thanks for this.

This solved a problem for me where I couldn't use IIS, because the World Wide Web Publishing service wouldn't start, because the Event Log wasn't running.

lucyconnuk

Creedless

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Thanks Matt,
This was the exact solution abd file I was missing - as you mentioned, deleted by an antivirus program.

Very much appreciated!

Creed

G

thank you very much mctoshiba for posting your solution, i had the exact same problem, i looked in my quarantine for eset and saw it there, i redownloaded and now i can schedule my downloads again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.