Event viewer errors

christopunch

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
I built my Pc in October of 2014 and have had no issues until upgrading to windows 10. Now i dont know if thats a coincidence or not but bare with me. I started up this thread awhile ago: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3227566/shutting-unexpectedly.html
Now, Since then it had been a couple weeks and everything was fine then the Shutdowns started again. So i did some further digging and when to the Event viewer right after shutdown and i see that im being hit with tons of errors. Now i know each one might be a different problem or they all might be related but i need help trying to get everything sorted out. Attached i will post a screenshot of the recent events that have been happening.

https://imageshack.com/i/pmvfgkC5p
Pc shut off at 1/4 4:17pm

If you need any additional info that im missing please reply.

Solution
Looking at the link from the ups above is there a limit on the batteries life expectancy of 3-5 years so if the UPS is old might it be good to to keep an eye on it,see if it charges okay and maybe buy a new one.

Geef

Distinguished
I suggest you run several checks on your system. First install and run "The Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool". After that download and run Memtest86 to check the computer memory. If those are ok then next run Malwarebytes and then your Antivirus program.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You’re sure to see some errors and warnings in the Event Viewer, even if your computer is working fine.

The Event Viewer is designed to help system administrators keep tabs on their computers and troubleshoot problems. If there isn’t a problem with your computer, the errors in here are unlikely to be important. For example, you’ll often see errors that indicate a program crashed at a specific time, which may have been weeks ago.

http://www.howtogeek.com/123646/htg-explains-what-the-windows-event-viewer-is-and-how-you-can-use-it/

event 41 - the one that "started" it is actually a result of a report windows runs at startup to check if PC shutdown right. If it finds it didn't, it creates an event 41

It also looks like Windows doesn't know why it shutdown and its likely the cause is hardware related still. What power supply do you have? Make/model.. I see its 1k.

christopunch

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

Evga supernova 1000 G1 watt gold rating
Link: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-120-G2-1000-XR/dp/B00JN1TT2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483636020&sr=8-1&keywords=evga%2Bsupernova%2B1000&th=1|

Interesting thing is if your read my previous post, i actually got them to send me a new power supply. After explaining my issues. The exact same model but and new one altogether. I should also note that i did run the Windows Memory diagnostic program and it came back clean. No issues

Colif

Win 11 Master
OK, i didn't read it all... Do you still get the little black box pop up? I could guess that's command prompt, so I sort of understand why you looking at event viewer now.

Nothing really stands out in event viewer. What you should do is as soon as you see pop up again, look in event viewer and see if you can identify it (but then it may not be an error) - as I have many of the same errors in my PC and it works fine - I try not to look in there as it worries me.

So it mostly happens when you gaming? and in last thread you ran ddu and deleted all of the Nvidia software already. Have you seen anymore black pixelation? or any other strange graphical things? wondering if its the card itself. There aren't many components that cause PC to shutdown... GPU is one of them, PSU is obvious, motherboard and CPU are last

Have you updated your BIOS recently?

Did you run Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool as suggested? - I don't think its going to be CPU as you would likely get certain BSOD if that were case.

I don't think it would be ram as that normally causes freezes, not shutdowns.

christopunch

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

Thanks for the reply.

No, Since i Uninstalled my Graphics drivers with DDU and reinstalled them with the latest drivers the Black box hasn't popped up. Nor have i had any black pixelization. I ran into a thread and i guess one of the latest Nvidia drivers at the time was causing the issue for some people and once the latest update came out, after downloading it. The issue was gone. So that hasn't been an issue for sometime.

Now i just ran the Intel Diagnostic Tool and it came across as a pass. (I have I7- 4790k)

I have not updated my Bios. Since i got the Motherboard back in 2014. Now i have periodically used the Bios EZ update program that is in AI Suite ll that came with my motherboard and it always says that i have the latest update. (I have the Maximus vii hero mobo) Now after i post this i will go look for the update manually.

To answer your other question: The power will cut off no matter what im doing. I could be just browsing the internet and it will happen aswell when hardcore gaming. Also ill leave my PC on during the day and sometimes through the night and sometimes when i come back its off.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if AI Suite itself is up to date, as the latest bios is dated: 2016/04/15

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

I would download the bios file, unzip it and copy the cap file onto a USB and install it via the tool in the bios, as I don't like the windows way. But that is just me :)

christopunch

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

Alright. I have a dumb question on updating via Usb Flash.
Should i grab all the latest updates on that page or only the Bios one?
Also which one should i pop on my Usb?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Why do you even have a 1k PSU?. Don't get me wrong, its a good model... expecting to put more GPU in it? Did it come with a special power cable? Are you using it?

Are you plugged in to a surge protector? is it rated for 1000 watts? Not like your PC is likely to even use half that

Or are you plugged direct into wall?

Run the free version of http:// on your ram, 1 stick at a time.. might as well cross it off list.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Just put the bios file on the USB, the other updates could be just left on the PC. Only Bios update needs to be on the USB.. download it, unzip it and copy contents onto USB :)

As for other drivers, need to check that windows hasn't already installed some of them for you. So have to check device manager before running them.

christopunch

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

Alright thanks. Ill be working on getting the update installed.

So i wanted to be future proof somewhat and i dident know if i was going to get another GPU or not thats the reason.

What do you mean by special power cable? (Im not aware of anything out of the ordinary)

And Yes i have been plugged into a Surge protector. Its some off brand protector from walmart. ONN brand the only thing it says on the bottom is https://imageshack.com/i/posNlQaBj
I have my Monitor, PC, wii plugged into this aswell. I have had it plugged in the same way since i got my computer. So i dont know if it is not enough power coming through the protector or not. It never ocurred to me that might be a problem.
I was originally thinking that this might be the problem so yesterday when i first posted this thread i unplugged my PC from the protector and plugged it directly into the wall. Nothing has happened since.

As a side note i have another question about a UPS i just got for Free. Its 750 watt APC 1300 XS.
I was wondering if it would work with my PC/Monitor or if my PsU watt was to high.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i think its likely the surge protector was the cause, it probably couldn't supply the power the PSU needed consistently. Some devices like to be plugged into mains to work properly, MY monitor is like that.

Some high wattage PSU have heavy duty power cables but looking at the reviews for yours, it seems it doesn't need one. Not using right cables with the other PSU can cause errors. That doesn't apply here.

The UPS is questionable. I don't know, as it depends on how PSU works. I don't know them all that well, I suspect it only creates 1000 watts if it needs it. But I really don't know.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

A psu only supplies the power a pc needs,not the full wattage al time.

For the problem (if still there since not with the pc connected to the wall outlet directly if i'm not mistaken) is maybe disable the "Asus Anti Surge" in the bios/uefi and see if that fixes it.The psu has it's own protections so it should do no harm.

Colif

Win 11 Master

That is what I thought or it would always be at max temp as well.. doh! Now I think its clearer... i should sit in power supply forum for a while and read answers. It might seep in eventually.

christopunch

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

@James Mason
I should clarify. I wasn't directly after i upgraded to windows 10 but i would say a couple months after. I mentioned it cause that was the only big thing that i did to modify my system since the power issues started. Yes, i did do an upgrade install and kept all my files. Not a clean install.

@Colif
Now i just Updated the bios. I flashed it and everything went smoothly.

So what do you guys think should be my next step? Should i wait and see if my issue persists?
Im hopeful that the bios update/plugging my computer in a different outlet w/o a surge protector will help.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not into UPS's but that one you mention,if i'm right this one., should be good enough to let the pc go on for a few minutes and when a power out is there and let you save files,also make it shut down normally,look at the "runtime graph" link under "technical specifications". Works also as a surge protector.

christopunch

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

Alright. So, its been 10 days. Sad to say but the problem is still here. Its happened twice in those 10 days. After Plugging it into a different wall socket and not in that bad power strip its still happening. Also i did that Mobo update. So whats next?

christopunch

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014

Thanks. It looks like its the same UPS but a way old model. I haven't done any research on it yet but im still hopeful.