Ever increasing C drive data

shyam2618

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
hi guys,
can anyone please tell me hoe to reduce c drive data where my o.s (Win7) is installed
whenever i update my windows the used space is increasing and in sometime i may run out of space..
how to make more space in c drive..

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
your OS drive (where windows is installed) will keep on expanding as time goes on and updates are released / programs installed.

I use a 150gb partittion for my OS drive and have all my games installed to a 2nd partittion.

only way to make more space in C: is to start deleting stuff, or moving it to another drive
DO NOT TOUCH YOUR WINDOWS DIRECTORY.

start with you documents and download directories and get rid of what you dont need.

You can save space by right-clicking on the C Drive in My Computer and doing Disk Cleanup. Then choose to remove everything it pops up (like old installations). You can empty your Temp Folder, and some cached installation files as well (such as C:\Nvidia). You can also change System Restore settings to use less disk space.

How big is your hard drive? I have no problems with Windows 7 on my 80GB old laptop HDD. But I don't install much. There's no reason to have less than a 500GB hard drive on a newer computer.

Just uninstall some programs you don't need (Add/Remove Programs), delete videos you don't watch, and if you have another hard drive, do Custom Install options when you add new programs so that they don't install on C. With a small HDD, you have to do a lot of housekeeping to avoid running out of space. That's a major reason I've got several terabytes at home.

You can also right click the trash can and select properties. This will allow you to control how much disk space the trash can uses. Reduce the size to something more practical. You can move your page file to another drive. If you have more than 4 gig of ram you can also reduce or eliminate the page file.

g-unit1111

Titan
You can also save space by turning off the temporary memory cache in your internet browser. In IE it's referred to as "Offline Browsing" which you can click off in the Internet Settings control panel. In Firefox it's called "temporary memory cache" and in Firefox it's kind of tricky to locate but it's under the advanced settings in the preferences control panel.

I'm not sure how to do that for Chrome or Opera as I'm unfamiliar with the browser setup.