Ever Wondered What the Internet is Doing to Your Brain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I get what they are saying... I am not entirely convinced it works that way for all people.
Or rather; I think there has always been a relatively small percentage of the population that is capable of that kind of deep thinking in the first place (mostly due to a lack of self discipline, or seeing the need for it in the first place). I had the great fortune of growing up with computers before the web was redily available. I mean, we had it (or rather prodigy), but I was often not allowed to use it, and when I did use it there was only so much you could do with a 28.8 connection. So I thankfully learned to treat computers more of as a tool first, and a source of entertainment second.
But you look at most of my generation and younger and they were introduced to computers with full blown internet. They see the computer more as a mysterious extension of television (something I didn't have due to where I grew up), always hopping from one thing to the next rather than having a goal and using the computer to achieve said goal.
I never really thought about it much until recently because I now have 2 kiddos, and I am soon going to have to train them on how to use computers as a tool for a purpose, rather than it just being a sewage pipe of information that pumps more at them than they could ever hope to process. They definitely need lots of good exposure to the computer/web in order to function in the future where more and more things are web/tech based, but I am not quite sure how to teach them to view it as an external tool rather than internalized noise...

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
This is more geared toward social media than the broad generalization of the internet. I spend less than 10 minutes a day total on social media sites. If I want my brain to passively process garbage, I watch a movie. But mostly, I play video games or other means to apply my brain.
A more interesting topic would be relation between the amount time spent on social media or watching TV to what a person thinks about Obama. =)

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
So what this guy is saying is the internet has destroyed or is destroying our long term memory? I'm not sure I agree with his hypothesis, but I do agree that everyone needs to have "me" time.
If someone has the greatest idea of all time, I would hope they immediately begin to transcribe their idea into any capture format they have available. Relying on your memory of a spark of innovation has always been a bad idea, this is not new to the internet.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
IDK I use the internet to learn...I spend alot of time reading... and not light stuff either.. I enjoy reading physics ( astro and quantum ) I love Tesla and his theories and would even love to recreate some of his technologies that were never developed, I could go on and on and on and on.........

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
IDK I use the internet to learn...I spend alot of time reading... and not light stuff either.. I enjoy reading physics ( astro and quantum ) I love Tesla and his theories and would even love to recreate some of his technologies that were never developed, I could go on and on and on and on.........

Status
Not open for further replies.