Every 10 minutes my internet cuts out when im playing games

Varrianda_90

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Okay so it's not just that my internet cuts out, when it cut's out the entire game that im in still goes on around me, im just frozen there lagging, Same with voice chat, I can't talk but I can still hear. I'm very confused on why this is going on since it just started happening recently. I'm not sure if I got a FUD and my AV can't pick it up. The wireless adapter i'm using is the netgear n900 USB adapter. This is really all I can say about the issue, any help will be appreciated.

Also, I made sure to change all my power options to high performance, and all of that so it's not turning off to attempt to save power.

I checked to make sure the UPnP was enabled, which it was.

The drivers on my wireless adapter are up to date, but i've confirmed that the problem is either my computer itself or the wireless adapter, because when I tried bridging connections (my laptop too my desktop) it still happened after about the 10 minute mark of gaming.

I just tried it on both my extender and my normal router, and it lagged on both of them.

I changed the power settings, but confirmed that it's not the wireless adapter that's at fault.

Also it seems that it only happens when i'm playing games, because i've just been on the internet and in a skype call and it hasn't happened in about an hour.

Been playing guild wars now for a couple hours and it dosen't seem to happen when im playing this.

fVAHA
Picture I took of what it looks like in Task manager, the internet usage cut's down to 0%.

Solution
Yes I have run into some Steam errors myself and you have to make sure that your Steam client is always updated. I have actually had to delete the whole Steam instasll on occasion.
Is your NAT set to open , that means is the UPnP setting is set to enabled in your routers setting.
Are the drivers for the USB adapter up to date ?
Are there any game updates ? What games is this happening in , all of them ?
Have you changed the power plan settings so that there is no way for Windows to control the Network adapter ?

Varrianda_90

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

I haven't checked my NAT settings, which i'll have to do.

Yes my drivers are up to date I just checked.

It's every game that i seem to be playing, not just a single one.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that there is no way for windows to control it, do you mean setting it to maximum performance or just not allowing windows to mess with it's power settings?

It's more of like my internet dosen't allow me to connect but it allows me to receive is what's happening.

Also, I just checked my UPnP settings in my router, and it's set to enabled, advertisement period is 30 minutes and advertisement time to live is 4.

When I said for Windows controling the network adapter I was referring to the power options and sometimes there are serrings that the network adapter has that Windows can use tocut power to the adapter when not in use or power down but not off when idle. In te power plan there is an advanced button that will go to a list of the options and you have to go through them one by one clicking on all the plus symbols and drop down menus to make sure that there is nothing that slips by that allows Windows to control power.

Varrianda_90

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah I checked over that, should have edited the comment and not just the post. I've ruled out the wireless adapter as the issue because when I tried bridgeing connections between my laptop and my desktop to see if it still happened, and it did. I'm going more towards the issue is with my computer and not my router because when my internet cut out on my desktop I got on my phone right away, turned off 3g and made sure it was only using wifi to test it out, and it still worked. I could be wrong but after trial and error im learning towards an issue with my computer.

Varrianda_90

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

I might be able to try wired, but not today because my father has his office where the modem is and he's working from home today. I'm on the website right now so i'll look around and see what test I should run to test it. It also seems that it only happens when my internet is under load I.E downloading something or playing a game. Casual internet browsing doesn't make the problem occur.

Varrianda_90

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Actually, I think this might be steam causing my issue, I was playing WarZ just fine for 2 hours or so, then hop on steam to finish downloading things and 2-3 minutes later my internet crashes, and I looked it up and it happens that this is happening to others too and not just me.

Varrianda_90

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

I guess the issue is steam then, I've been playing other non steam games for a while though and my internet hasn't cut out once. Thanks for the help man really appreciate it! :)