Every 3.5mm extension I get appears to be faulty

DASMANgaming

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
To clarify this let me explain, I have a Turtle Beach 50p headset and the cable is too sort to use the headset in the pc (new desk has the pc below) and I had to get an extension cable, I tried a cheap one that was 1m, it wasnt working right, I got a refund and that was that, then I got 2 different ones to try, both being from startech, both arrived today and both have the same issue. Now before you point your finger at my headset, I have tried my S6 earbuds and a really old headset on all 3 cables with no luck.

The issue itself is that the 3.5mm jack on my audio devices are 4 pole (the strip thingys) and I needed a 4 pole compatible port, so with the extension cables it plays audio, but only the left channel (and it plays that channel through both cups, tested on windows to find it was just the left) BUT if I push the cable into the extension cable, with 1 hand pushing them together it plays really distorted audio, but if I use both hands (aka pushing it in as much as I can) it plays both channels, but I cannot keep both hands on the cables and use my pc.

Anyone know a fix for this or is it just bad luck with cables? I have asked for replacements/refunds on the cables.

Solution
sounds like you are trying to use a 4pole plug with a 3pole extension cable or vise versa. that wont fly jack.

you need to match 4pole to 4pole and 3pole to 3pole plugs. otherwise you are going to have issues.

now, if your headset is 4pole what you likely need is a 4pole to 3pole adapter cable (4pole one end, two 3 pole [mic and headphones] connectors on the other). not sure if you need a male or female on the headset side (are you plugging in your headset cable (male) to it or are you plugging into the headset itself (female port). the two 3 pole cables on the other side would go to the mic and headphone port on your pc.

DASMANgaming

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

So should I try another extension cable or just find headphones with a very long cable?

sounds like you are trying to use a 4pole plug with a 3pole extension cable or vise versa. that wont fly jack.

you need to match 4pole to 4pole and 3pole to 3pole plugs. otherwise you are going to have issues.

now, if your headset is 4pole what you likely need is a 4pole to 3pole adapter cable (4pole one end, two 3 pole [mic and headphones] connectors on the other). not sure if you need a male or female on the headset side (are you plugging in your headset cable (male) to it or are you plugging into the headset itself (female port). the two 3 pole cables on the other side would go to the mic and headphone port on your pc.

Solution