Question Every 8 seconds PC will drop down to 20FPS and after 10 seconds it will go back to 60 fps...

Aug 18, 2019
i have a problem with my pc... every time i play a game after 8 seconds it will go to 20fps but after that it will go back up to 60fps after 10-15 seconds

PC Specs:
GPU: EVGA gtx 1080
MB: Msi 970A sli krait edition am3+ socket
CPU: FX 8350 overclocked to 4.1 Ghz
PSU: 650 Watt 80plus bronze from Corsair
RAM: Corsair vengeance 16GB 2x8 1866 MHz ddr3
500GB ssd
2TB hdd
windows 8.1Pro

CPU has a good bequiet! cooler and doesn't go over 60 C
GPU will never go over 60 C either

does anyone know why this is happening i cant play any good FPS games because i have that. i have tried resetting my HDD and SSD to remove any virusses but that didnt help a single bit.

Last edited:
4+1 phase VRM with a power hungry processor like the FX 8350, AND overclocked?

Dropping to stock clocks and putting a dedicated fan blowing on the VRM cooling might help consistency. As a troubleshooting step, it is one of the things you should consider, not just possible software issues.

Hello Fix_that_Glitch.

Hardly a barn burner is truth, but we are talking a 125W at-stock processor on a 4+1 design.

In design theory, 4+1 can handle what 8+2 can, provided the component selection is good and adequate to the task. It will run hotter though, and can induce throttling. Hence the heatsink on the VRMs, provided it is making good contact.

In practice, the motherboards are striving to reach a price point, and while technically supported, the 990 boards usually have more robust power delivery that is a better pairing for that processor.

Additional direct cooling on the VRM area might alleviate that symptom, provided there is sufficient case airflow, and thus the recommendation as a troubleshooting step.

DSzymborski

Titan
I suspect VRMs as well. I'm not sure why the first thing tried wasn't undoing the overclock. (I'm a little baffled why a 1080 is paired with an 8350 as well, but that's not the main problem at hand). The behavior is indicative of a cooling problem at some level and if it's not the straight-up temperatures (checking the thermal margin in AMD Overdrive would be more indicative of the actual temperatures), then I'd suspect the harder-to-measure VRMs.

Aug 18, 2019
I meant on your monitor what resolution are you playing at? Also can you take a pic of your Nvidia 3d settings?
Open task manager while playing a game and when it starts to lag see if an application is running in the background, or a problem with your hardware shows up.
i took some screenshots from when i was playing and i noticed that everytime i had those lagg spikes my cpu usage would drop to under 20 percent and if it gets normal fps its at 50-70% the game i tested it on was GTA V.

i cant find a way to use Gyazo to upload fotos on here so i cant show the pics to you :/

Aug 18, 2019
I suspect VRMs as well. I'm not sure why the first thing tried wasn't undoing the overclock. (I'm a little baffled why a 1080 is paired with an 8350 as well, but that's not the main problem at hand). The behavior is indicative of a cooling problem at some level and if it's not the straight-up temperatures (checking the thermal margin in AMD Overdrive would be more indicative of the actual temperatures), then I'd suspect the harder-to-measure VRMs.
Well i am pretty young i dont know that much about pc's and i dont have the money to upgrade my rig to anything better. but i have got job now to get some money and i thought the first thing i would buy was the GPU so thats why its paired with my old 8350

i took some screenshots from when i was playing and i noticed that everytime i had those lagg spikes my cpu usage would drop to under 20 percent and if it gets normal fps its at 50-70% the game i tested it on was GTA V.

i cant find a way to use Gyazo to upload fotos on here so i cant show the pics to you :/
Try to undo the overclock. The fact that the CPU usage is dropping could be because it is getting less power as the motherboard cannot handle it.

I suspect you are throttling, the throttle point for FX, I think is around 60c.
When the temperature hits that point, your processor slows down until a better heat level is reached.
Then, the processor spins up and the cycle is repeated.

Take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If this helps, look to better case and cpu cooling.

Longer term, plan on upgrading to a current gen intel or ryzen build.
The FX line is all but obsolete with slow cores.

Aug 18, 2019
I suspect you are throttling, the throttle point for FX, I think is around 60c.
When the temperature hits that point, your processor slows down until a better heat level is reached.
Then, the processor spins up and the cycle is repeated.

Take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If this helps, look to better case and cpu cooling.

Longer term, plan on upgrading to a current gen intel or ryzen build.
The FX line is all but obsolete with slow cores.
is there any way that i can disable "thermal Throtteling"? because i dont mind my cpu getting hot