[SOLVED] Every bios update requires a PIN reset. Is this bad?

Cassie2011

Commendable
May 26, 2021
Your pin is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. I get this message and have to do the whole reset process (with phone verification) on every bios update. Is this something I should be concerned about? This also causes me to be signed out of certain accounts. I have reset the OS multiple times for other issues with the PC and this glitch always remains. Knowing that it must either be a hardware issue or something wrong with my Microsoft account? Really hoping not the former and any insight is much appreciated. Computer is a few months old.

Solution
you can just switch to a local account and avoid all of the Microsoft account bs.

i always have an open Microsoft account that i can sign into but i don't want to have to deal with them eveytime i want to use Windows on my home system.

my guess with the BIOS vs PIN is that there is a type of TPM or other security feature enabled for the motherboard and when signing in on this machine your MS account is being linked to it.
like how Windows 11 seems to be devolving.
each time you update the BIOS this is updated and reset.
you can try searching for security features in the BIOS and try disabling them.
you can just switch to a local account and avoid all of the Microsoft account bs.

i always have an open Microsoft account that i can sign into but i don't want to have to deal with them eveytime i want to use Windows on my home system.

my guess with the BIOS vs PIN is that there is a type of TPM or other security feature enabled for the motherboard and when signing in on this machine your MS account is being linked to it.
like how Windows 11 seems to be devolving.
each time you update the BIOS this is updated and reset.
you can try searching for security features in the BIOS and try disabling them.

Reactions: Cassie2011
Solution