Question Every device appears with the same mac address on my router

Mar 2, 2019
Ok so i dont know why but now every device appears to have the same mac only one pc is with the normal mac. And its messing with my static ip config because well now every device has the same mac.

Mar 2, 2019
I didnt make any changes do dchp server it just appears like that, every device with unknown in device name, different ips but the same mac address which btw is the same as my firts repeater mac but with a few changes.

I generally do not use repeaters so I can't say what a router displays. That is strange in some ways but also in some ways expected. Wifi as part of the design of the encryption uses the mac addresses as part of they keys. This was designed so that you knew that you were talking to only a single device on the remote end and the session was not intercepted. This also means it is impossible to use a repeater...as least one that is layer 2 and uses mac addresses To get around this restriction the router manufactures started to use a field called WDS that was really meant for other purposes. They put the mac address of the actual device in this field. So technically all traffic is coming in from the same mac address. The router or repeater will then take the value out of the WDS field and replace mac address in the actual packet.

Even after all these years I do not think the WDS hack has been incorporated into the official standard. It is still considered a security exposure and does not work when you run enterprise mode which is what companies use.

So I can't say why your router displays what it does. I suspect if you look at the DHCP mapping it has the actual IP addresses to mac addresses. It would not function if the router did not know the real mac addresses. The screen you are looking at is kinda wrong and kinda correct.

TRENDING THREADS