Question Every Game and Application Crashes When Under Heavy Load

Aug 14, 2019
Any time my computer is under heavy load, it crashes. This happens in every game I play, as well as every time I run Unigine Valley or Heaven Benchmark on basically any preset that my computer should be able to run with ease. Programs/games will boot up fine and run for a few minutes, then I will see glitchy squares or what some people call "digital snowflakes" for a minute, then the program will freeze and it will boot me to the desktop with an error. When I try to use my Elgato HD60 Pro capture card in OBS Studio, 720p works just fine but once I switch to 1080p (which I assume requires more power) the audio becomes riddled with crackling and popping. The picture, however, still looks fine on 1080p. I have the latest drivers for every component that could be causing issues (DDU uninstalled and reinstalled my GPU driver). My BIOS is set as default with XMP enabled.

I have tested my RAM twice using Memtest86 and both times it passed all 4 tests without a single error. I ran Intel's Processor Diagnostics Tool and my CPU showed no signs of deficiency as it passed with flying colors. I haven't been able to test a different GPU on my rig as I don't have access to a spare and for the same reason, I haven't been able to test out a different power supply unit.

One thing I noticed in HWMonitor is that my +12V voltage has a min of 12.192V and a max of 12.288V--a difference of .096V. Aren't fluctuations of anything greater than .05V out of the ordinary? I'll go ahead and post my HWMonitor screenshot for anyone that might be able to catch anything else that might seem unusual with any other part in this thing.

HWMonitor GPU Graphics Min is 139MHz and Max is 1633MHz. GPU Memory Min is 405MHz and Max is 4007MHz. Should I be getting 8000MHz on the Memory max?

Initially I thought it was obviously the GPU but then when I started to notice the audio issue with my capture card after bumping up from 720p to 1080p, I thought maybe it's a power supply issue? Then I thought, well, everything plugged in to a PCIE slot is having issues... could it be my motherboard? I have mix and matched my GPU and capture card into every possible PCIE slot--same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! My specs are as follows...

Motherboard: Asus Prime z370-a II
CPU: Intel i7-8700k
GPU: Asus Rog Strix GeForce GTX 1070
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 16GB DDR4 3200 (F4-3200C16D-16GTZKW)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G3, 80 Plus Gold 750W
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display: 2 Dell S2417DG monitors

HWMonitor Results: View: https://imgur.com/a/KZ7Msy8
& View: https://imgur.com/T0VMmZh

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019
Have you monitored your temps CPU/GPU while under load? If it were my system, I would first check my temps under load to make sure there wasn't an issue there. If that's all within spec then I would probably try a different power supply. Since you aren't manually OC or anything, I don't think manually fiddling with power is something you should have to play with.

Aug 16, 2019
Some thoughts. Have you installed latest chipset drivers and flashed latest BIOS from ASUS? Check aux motherboard and pci-e power connections to make sure pins are all good and cables are seated properly. I have built a ton of systems and had a lot of weird issues, but this is definitely a good one. Could be random hardware issue with MB as well as PS that will just require trying a different one to diagnose. Sorry, I can;t provide better help, just a hobbyist who usually uses the trial and error method of trouble shooting lol.

Edit: If you turn off XMP profile and just keep everything stock, do you still have the issue?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019
Latest BIOS and chipset driver are installed. Tried full default BIOS settings and the problems persisted. Took it to a local repair shop and the issue was resolved once we changed the GPU but right after exiting Unigine Valley, Windows refused to let us access anything on the task bar or startup menu. Left my rig with them and they're basically going to test everything piece by piece. Thinking it's the motherboard. I'll update once they figure it out.

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

TRENDING THREADS