[SOLVED] EVERY game, but ONLY games, crashes

D-3PO

Prominent
Jul 7, 2020
Hello everybody, nice to be here again!
I assume this is the right place for my question, but not sure

I have a strange issue: every game I try to play crashes, every time. It can be after a few minutes of playthrough (usually), it could be after some hours (most rare). The PC keeps running smoothly, it's only the game which closes itself. It does not metter what kind of game it is, if it is a resource consuming or a small indie game.

I used to play cool games on this machine with no problems at all (Red Dead Redemption II, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed Odissey...) at medium - high graphic settings
I regularly use graphic and video editing softwares (DaVinci Resolve, Photoshop etc) on this very machine with no problems at all
I made a clean format of windows to try to solve the problem
I tested both Gaming and Studio drivers for my Gtx 1070
I turned off Real Time Protection from Windows Defender
I ran some banchmark like FurMark, scoring above average
I tried installing and running the games "As Administrator"
I ran out of ideas

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

this is recorded on event viewer when crashes happen

Last edited:
Solution
Yeh but why does this happen? Aren't my drivers and my windows the same as others?
It stops being the same as others the second you start updating and installing stuff after the initial install. People install and update different things in different orders and the layered orders along with imperfect clean-ups by whatever got previously installed may affect each other. Tools like DDU are meant to return the PC as close to a clean-slate state as possible as far as graphics drivers are concerned.

InvalidError

Titan
When you have issues with games going black-screen and 'recovering', it means the GPU drivers have crashed either due to an internal error or GPU fault.

I restarted Windows about an hour ago to finish installing a couple of updates I had been postponing for a week or so and had an Nvidia driver crash almost immediately after re-opening a few of my programs, hadn't had one in a long time.

D-3PO

Prominent
Jul 7, 2020
"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I googled it, but couldn't understand what I found, nor was I capable of finding a solution.

My machine is
PSU Corsair RM750x
MOBO Gigabyte AB350 Gaming (bios F50d)
CPU Ryzen 5 1600
Memory 2x G.Skill FlareX 8GB DDR4 3200 (which I run on x.m.p. at 2933, 3200 works perfectly too)
GPU Gigabyte GTX1070 Gaming
OS win10 on dedicated m.2 ssd
games on dedicated ssd

InvalidError

Titan
There isn't a whole lot that can be done about driver crashes other than cross your fingers and hope that booting into safe mode to use DDU to scrub the registry of previous drivers remnants before re-installing the newest version available will solve it.

InvalidError

Titan
Yeh but why does this happen? Aren't my drivers and my windows the same as others?
It stops being the same as others the second you start updating and installing stuff after the initial install. People install and update different things in different orders and the layered orders along with imperfect clean-ups by whatever got previously installed may affect each other. Tools like DDU are meant to return the PC as close to a clean-slate state as possible as far as graphics drivers are concerned.

Reactions: dotas1
Solution