[SOLVED] EVERY Game Crashes To Desktop With No Errors In Event Viewer

Jaxstarke9977

Reputable
Nov 8, 2020
Every game regardless if it's on Steam or Ubisoft or Origin crashes to desktop as soon as I press play or enter. The games will load to the start screen but once I hit start they ALL crash to desktop.
Ryzen 5 3600x (not oc)
Asrock B450m/ac mobo
Nvidia GTX 1660 gpu (not oc)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz DDR4
Seagate Barracuda SATA Internal SSD
I've tried everything - sfc /scannow (no issues), DISM (no issues), swapped power supply units, swapped graphics cards (games crashed with both cards crashed right after I hit start/play), clean install of Windows 10, safe mode, upgraded (and rolled back) drivers, Memtest86, increased page file size, moved games to another drive, set games to lowest graphics setting, turned off Windows Security, etc. I even ran Furmark to try to get it to crash and it wouldn't do it. It only does it when I attempt to play a game. My temps average around 55 degrees celsius on gpu and CPU under load. I get no warnings or errors in Event Viewer System or Application when it happens. I'm at a complete loss. I'm thinking about just buying a new mobo and starting over.

Last edited:
Solution
Ok. Made progress today. When I did a clean install of Windows a couple of days ago I didn't delete all the partitions on the SSD so I assume there were still remnants of the problem left on there. Today I deleted everything except the final "unallocated space" (which was unable to be deleted) and installed Win 10. Games work fine now. Thanks to some guy named zuudo on Reddit for the proper procedure:
  1. Back up your data.
  2. Boot from the USB.
  3. Follow the instructions and choose "Install Now" when prompted.
  4. Choose "Install Windows Only (Advanced)"
  5. Select each partition and delete it. This deletes the files on the partition
  6. When you've finished this, you should be left with "unallocated space". Choose it and...

Jaxstarke9977

Reputable
Nov 8, 2020
Main psu is Gamdias Kratos M1 550 and the other for testing is a generic Cybertron 500w psu. Cpu usage is maybe 15 to 50% and hovers around the 45 to 55 degree mark under load while the gpu is around 90-99% usage and 55 to 60 degrees under load. Right now with just this window open the CPU is sitting at 1% utilization and 38 degrees and the GPU is at 0% usage and 38 degrees. I ran Memtest 86 overnight with no errors and ran Windows Memory Diagnostic this morning with no errors.

Jaxstarke9977

Reputable
Nov 8, 2020
I've tried both my GTX 1660 gpu and my old RX 580 and every game still crashes to desktop right after I click play/start. Temps are normal on both gpu and cpu. Usage is normal for both gpu and cpu. Last night I used DDU again and uninstalled all video and audio drivers and re-installed and still the same issue.

Last edited:

Jaxstarke9977

Reputable
Nov 8, 2020
Ok. Made progress today. When I did a clean install of Windows a couple of days ago I didn't delete all the partitions on the SSD so I assume there were still remnants of the problem left on there. Today I deleted everything except the final "unallocated space" (which was unable to be deleted) and installed Win 10. Games work fine now. Thanks to some guy named zuudo on Reddit for the proper procedure:
  1. Back up your data.
  2. Boot from the USB.
  3. Follow the instructions and choose "Install Now" when prompted.
  4. Choose "Install Windows Only (Advanced)"
  5. Select each partition and delete it. This deletes the files on the partition
  6. When you've finished this, you should be left with "unallocated space". Choose it and click Next.
  7. Continue installing Windows.

Solution