Apr 16, 2019
Hey, I built myself a new PC for Christmas. At first I was using my old GPU (Radeon R7 370) because I wasn't able to get a new one. Since the beginning I was experiencing random freezes and then crashes while playing every game. Even fricking Minecraft. I've tried everything I could find on the internet, everything I could think of. At first the crashes weren't very common, but now it's literally impossible to play. Every single time I play Fortnite it crashes during the first game.

My specs:
  • Asus Rog Strix 1060 6gb
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
  • 8GB 2666Mhz DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury RAM
  • MSI Tomahawk B450
  • Stock AMD cooler
  • 1TB Western Digital harddrive
  • Corsair RM550x
  • Windows 10
Things I've tried:
  • Reinstalling Windows
  • Using a different GPU
  • Using a different PSU
  • Testing the HDD
  • Memtest
  • Checking temps during gaming
  • Updating drivers
None my tests have resulted in games stopping freezing and crashing. I'm so desperate, I've been saving up money for 1.5 years and now this happens. Please some one help me, thanks!

EDIT: I play every game on lowest settings because I prefer higher framerate.

And this is what it shows when Fortnite crashes:
Assertion failed: [File:Unknown] [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0005 - 'REMOVED')

FortniteClient_Win64_Shipping
kernel32
ntdll

Last edited:

Sadlah

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Are you sure the CPU is getting the right cooler when it's under high load, You've said it crashes when playing games, but does it crash at idle? You may need to reapply thermal paste

Apr 16, 2019
Are you sure the CPU is getting the right cooler when it's under high load, You've said it crashes when playing games, but does it crash at idle? You may need to reapply thermal paste
It's never crashed at idle, but while gaming it never goes over 60 degrees celsius. Even though while screwing in the cpu cooler I was having a very hard time and I did possibly screw the thermal paste up somehow if thats a possibility

jdr37

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Did you buy a new or used GPU? I had very similar problems with a used PGY GTX 1060 that win 7 finally diagnosed as failed and shut down. Try another graphics card if you have one and see what happens.

Apr 16, 2019
Too little and even too much can cause the cooling to fail
So it seems that it doesnt want to crash just as I'm running my tests, but I did observe that when I had lag spikes the CPU temps spiked to like 75 degrees. Maybe that's whats causing my game to crash, a massive lag spikes because of its the CPU temps spike and my game crashes. I'll look more in to it tomorrow.

Apr 16, 2019
Did you buy a new or used GPU? I had very similar problems with a used PGY GTX 1060 that win 7 finally diagnosed as failed and shut down. Try another graphics card if you have one and see what happens.
It is a used one but I've already tried it with another GPU and it still crashes.

Apr 21, 2019
Someone else on this forum had a similar problem. In the end it was his ryzen CPU running at a high speed. Somehow his bios had automatticly overclocked his cpu, and then his game froze or crashed.
Please check your clockspeed in your BIOS/UEFI

Apr 21, 2019
Someone else on this forum had a similar problem. In the end it was his ryzen CPU running at a high speed. Somehow his bios had automatticly overclocked his cpu, and then his game froze or crashed.

Apr 16, 2019
Nope, its not that. My CPU is running at 3.6Ghz which is what it should be running at. I'm going to be buying a new cpu cooler this week and I'll see if that fixes anything. This is so frustrating, I've been messing around with this for 4 months already...

Apr 16, 2019
Maybe someone could help me out with which CPU cooler I should purchase? I don't want to spend too much money I just want something that will work fine, I'm not planning on overclocking anything. Something in the range of 40 euros or so.