Question Every game I play is completely laggy all of the sudden

Menopausal Manbaby

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
For some reason, all of the games I play are significantly laggy all of a sudden. Not to also mention, every other process on my PC seems to be slower than usual. I can not even use discord because everyone lags so bad, even though our connections are both green. Even simple games are hard to play due to the amount of lag that happens.

I ran a PC test from user benchmark and this is what I got
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15783385

Can anyone advise me on what to do about this? I am completely lost

InvalidError

Titan
If everything 'mysteriously' slowed down, it could be the CPU thermal-throttling because something happened to its HSF, such as packed-down thermal paste getting broken loose by a hard knock on the case, a nudge while cleaning the insides, moving cables, etc.

Menopausal Manbaby

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
If everything 'mysteriously' slowed down, it could be the CPU thermal-throttling because something happened to its HSF, such as packed-down thermal paste getting broken loose by a hard knock on the case, a nudge while cleaning the insides, moving cables, etc.

Hmm, thats interesting because when I noticed some performance issues I cleaned the dust off of all of my components.

InvalidError

Titan
Hmm, thats interesting because when I noticed some performance issues I cleaned the dust off of all of my components.
That is basically what happened to my Core2: was still working perfectly fine four years from when I first put it together, decided to take the case outside to blow out the dust, turned it back on, got horrible performance everywhere and feared compressed air may have damaged something, checked temperatures, CPU was at 60-70C idle and 90+C under load. Tried re-pasting the HSF, didn't do much, seemed like the Intel HSF's plastic retention mechanism wasn't holding the HSF tight anymore. Tossed a 212+ on it and it has been working perfectly fine ever since.

Menopausal Manbaby

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
That is basically what happened to my Core2: was still working perfectly fine four years from when I first put it together, decided to take the case outside to blow out the dust, turned it back on, got horrible performance everywhere and feared compressed air may have damaged something, checked temperatures, CPU was at 60-70C idle and 90+C under load. Tried re-pasting the HSF, didn't do much, seemed like the Intel HSF's plastic retention mechanism wasn't holding the HSF tight anymore. Tossed a 212+ on it and it has been working perfectly fine ever since.

My CPU temp stays at 32 idle, and IXT says I have no throttling