Every headset I connect to my PC becomes defective after a while.

alexistsokas

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
First of all, English is not my native language, so there may be plenty of mistakes here. Sorry about that. I will list a timeline of the devices that became defective.

About a year ago I used my phone's earphones (connected them to the 3.5mm jack with the headset above it) and they worked properly for some time. But after some days (or weeks, not sure) the left earbud suddenly completely stopped working and the right one was partly working.

The same thing happened to these other rather cheap earbuds I bought, with the only difference being that both earbuds completely stopped working simultaneously.

At this point I didn't even think that it could be a problem with my PC's ports, just problematic earphones.

About 4-5 months ago I bought a medium-low quality (and price) gaming headset (not sure about the model) that had 2 plugs (3.5mm) green one for sound and red one for the mic. The headset worked properly for like a 2-month period or so, up until i noticed that my mic worked partly. After a while the mic stopped working when I connected it to the mic jack, but it did work partly when I connected it to the sound jack. In the end the mic jack became completely useless and the mic/sound plugs worked really inconsistently when i connected them to the sound jack. Also when i connected them to other devices like my phone , they made somewhat weird sounds when playing music with only one of the earbuds working.

That was when I realised that probably my 3.5mm jacks are probably defective and ruin every device I connect to them, so I decided to buy a headset that connects via USB

I got the Razer Electra v2 USB and it worked properly for about a week. Razer Synapse recognised it and I was able to tune the settings. The only problem i had was that sometimes the sound and mic stopped working as if the headset disconnected, but plugging it out and then replugging it solved the problem. Also my mates at PUBG/Fortnite told me that from time to time I would sound like Darth Vader/Robot but the solution was the same to the upper probleml.

Today, while I was recording a voice message, my headset stopped working and I replugged it as I would do normally. When I connected it , my PC recognised it as "CONEXANT USB AUDIO". I tried all the recommended solutions, such as manually changing the driver, uninstalling the conexant driver, etc. Also, other computers now recognise my headset as "Conexant Usb Audio"

I contacted Razer Tech Support via live chat and they told me that after all the troubleshooting we did, they deemed my device was defective and i should get it replaced at the store I bought them.

I really don't want to get my device replaced only for it to become defective again after a while. I informed the support about this timeline and they told me there is a possibility that my pc's ports are defective, but I have no idea how to find out what is really wrong, so I thought I could use your help. My case model is Zalman z11 neo atx mid tower, and my psu is Super Flower Golden Green HX 550W, if that helps.

Please help me solve the problem, even some small advice for me would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

Solution
Do you plug and unplug by holding the earphone/headset plug or by pulling on the cable?

Those cables are getting thinner and thinner especially for low end, cheaper models.

Plug the failed/defective heads etc. into a known working audio device. Listen to music while you gently twist, bend, squeeze, and otherwise move the cables from end to end.

If you can find some point where the failed headset side or microphone begins "working" again then that indicates the wire is probably broken to some extent.

Not sure where you may be purchasing earphones, etc. but another thing to consider is that you are receiving refurbished or counterfeit products.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you plug and unplug by holding the earphone/headset plug or by pulling on the cable?

Those cables are getting thinner and thinner especially for low end, cheaper models.

Plug the failed/defective heads etc. into a known working audio device. Listen to music while you gently twist, bend, squeeze, and otherwise move the cables from end to end.

If you can find some point where the failed headset side or microphone begins "working" again then that indicates the wire is probably broken to some extent.

Not sure where you may be purchasing earphones, etc. but another thing to consider is that you are receiving refurbished or counterfeit products.

Solution
May 7, 2018

I have the same exact problem but i never unpugged it. it just randomly colapsed in a gaming session nothing weird happend.

May 7, 2018

i made one.

TRENDING THREADS