Every time I try to install my GPU drivers, my screen goes black and the Pc turns off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2018
Basically the title. I recently reinstalled windows because my pc crashed a few days ago and would not boot back up windows. I installed all my other drivers fine such as chipset and bios but whenever I try to install my Radeon Gpu drivers the computer will turn off and the only way I can get it to boot windows again is by going into safe mode and uninstalling the AMD driver manually.

So how am I meant to install my gpu drivers? The computer doesn't really seem to detect it but the fans are spinning.

I've tried taking it out and making sure all the power cables were connected properly.

SPECS:
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 mobo
Fx 6300 cpu
Radeon R9 270X gpu
8gb Corsair ram
Corsair CX430M power supply
Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Mar 22, 2018

I tried downloading directly from the site, didn't help. Under display adaptor in device manager it just says "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", is that bad? Just checked again, the cables are fine. What do you mean by reseating the GPU? I took it out and put it back in again if that's what you mean. My other PCI E slot if blocked by cables and stuff so can't use another one but I don't think its the slot. Already tried updating the motherboard bios and it didn't help. :( Anything else I can try?

The system is not recognizing the graphics card. Remove the graphics card, clean the contacts, blow out the slot and reinstall the card. You want to use the top slot. You can go into the BIOS and designate the PCI Express x 16 slot rather than auto.

The power supply is below the recommended 500 watts . So it may not be getting sufficient power. Are the two 6-pin PCIE cables connected?

Mar 22, 2018

Also, is it not weird that before i install the GPU drivers it works but once I install them it breaks?
Already did all that clean stuff and its already in the top slot. Also yeah, double checked twice now, both 6 pin connectors are connected properly. My PC has been working fine for over a year with this corsair power supply, you really think it could be it?

The possibilities are a failed GPU, failed motherboard slot, or a failed power supply (insufficient). You have already updated the motherboard BIOS (recently?). The graphics card is by far the biggest power draw on the power supply, so it will always be affected first. Plus when you consider that it is 70 watts shy of the recommended power supply, that would be my first bet. Corsair's higher end power supplies are quality power supplies. All graphics cards degrade over time, but that particular series are known to be poor quality.

Mar 22, 2018

Ok, I just realised I have not actually updated the bios. It just gives me a ROM file and I don't not know how to do it. Prior to my PC crashing for the last time when i had to reinstall windows, it crashed 3 times earlier that week all when I was playing Fortnite but I was able to just turn it back on again so I didn't pay it any attention. I pink screen would pop up and the PC would turn off. Hope this helps decipher the problem to figure out which part is exactly causing the issues because money is tight and I cannot afford to waste any. Thanks for the help so far btw! :)

Right now it is necessary to get the system to recognize that there is a graphics card installed. Whether it is updating the BIOS, providing sufficient power , ect .

Once you have the BIOIS downloaded, use the Asus BIOS renaming tool to configure the file name for use with Asus Easy Flash 2 (if needed). The Asus video below shows the steps to update the BIOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYyXHGo7UHo

Also in the unlikely event that the update fails, there is ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 to correct it.

Mar 22, 2018

My bios looks nothing like that in the video and if it does mess up I'm not sure how to use that Asus CrashFree thing. I'm a complete noob lol.

Mar 22, 2018

Tried updating, PC wouldn't boot after and eventually I managed to get it to boot but it reinstalled my old bios :(

Mar 22, 2018

Heres a screenshot, think its ok now - http://prntscr.com/ivkpi3

Tried it again, same thing happened but now it shows the correct version i think even though the date says 2014 and the updated one should say 2015. I really need to narrow it down before i buy anything since im broke right now, you think its a good chance its the PSU? The PC gets half way through the GPU driver installation, screen turns on and off a few times and i can hear my music and stuff on the background but the screen stays black the whole time and then finally after that it just turns off.

Also, CPUZ seems to be able to detect my GPU - http://prntscr.com/ivkp86

Mar 22, 2018

Nope, still just says Microsoft Adapter thing :( Did you see the screenshots I sent? Does it mean anything that CPU Z detects it? I don't even think the bios detects it.

Try updating the graphics driver again. CPU Z should not be able to detect anything that the BIOS can't. But I doubt it is going to update.

I think that the power supply is going to need to be switched out. Do you know any one that might have a spare PSU that you could borrow? Otherwise there is the Sea sonic I suggested. And it can be used n a new system, if you go that route.

Mar 22, 2018

I might have a friend who can lend me one of their old ones but in case they don't is there any PSU's you recommend for someone in the UK? The one you linked is really expensive over here. Btw thanks for all the help so far.

Mar 22, 2018

I've decided to buy a really cheap PSU just to see if it is actually a PSU issue, but I've decided its time to make a new build so even if it does work it will only be temporary just until I save up. Thanks for all the help! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS