Question Every USB port will randomly disconnect for a few seconds on new PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2023
Hello, I have finished building a new PC for the first time a few weeks ago, and since then every USB port will randomly disconnect, usually for a few seconds, and then reconnect. This affects everything plugged into the USB ports, including my headset, keyboard, mouse and other USBs. The monitor will remain on and working during the disconnection, and the last key pressed on my keyboard will continue functioning as well. The RGB colours on my keyboard and mouse will also stop working during these disconnections and I can see them resume working and hear my headset power on once it reconnects. Occasionally (around every 3-5 disconnections), USB ports will disconnect and be unable to reconnect, forcing me to restart my PC.

These disconnections happen erratically but they usually happen close to each other (I can go many hours without a single disconnection, then have 3 happen in the same hour). They usually happen when I am gaming but also have occurred while I am simply browsing Google or even without any applications open. Very rarely, some but not all of the USB ports will disconnect, such as my keyboard stopping working but my mouse still functioning, and these situations will persist until I restart the PC.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to solve this situation. Are there any known USB driver issues that may cause this? If so, how do I make sure I install the correct drivers to fix this issue? Could it also be a hardware issue, and if so, what are the most common hardware reasons for this occurring? Thank you!

Jan 24, 2023
In windows power options/advanced settings see that usb selective suspend is disabled.
Hi there, thanks for the reply. I have gone to Edit power plan > Change advanced power settings > USB selective suspend setting > Disabled. I have also gone to Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers > (all USB devices) > Properties > Power Management > Disable Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Despite doing this yesterday, the disconnections have continued occurring today, and seemed to start occurring when I started gaming.

4745454b

Titan
New build? Everything new including your windows install?

I had something similar happen to me, but only the mouse would disconnect. I had upgraded my CPU from the 3570 K to the 3770K but didn't reinstall windows. I spent a long time tracking down the issue. What fixed it was removing the CPU drivers and then rebooting. Even though all 8 drivers were installed, for whatever reason this fixed it. If you built a new system but moved the drive over so you wouldn't have to reinstall windows, just reinstall windows. You'll save tons of time.

Jan 24, 2023
New build? Everything new including your windows install?

I had something similar happen to me, but only the mouse would disconnect. I had upgraded my CPU from the 3570 K to the 3770K but didn't reinstall windows. I spent a long time tracking down the issue. What fixed it was removing the CPU drivers and then rebooting. Even though all 8 drivers were installed, for whatever reason this fixed it. If you built a new system but moved the drive over so you wouldn't have to reinstall windows, just reinstall windows. You'll save tons of time.

Hey, I installed Windows 11 by downloading it onto a USB drive then installing it on the new system that way. Would you recommend I reinstall Windows or removing CPU drivers in this situation? Thanks!

Jan 24, 2023
Shouldn't make a difference. If it's a new install it's not the issue I had.

Bad USB device? Unplug all devices from USB and try a different known good Keyboard and Mouse.
My keyboard, mouse and headset worked perfectly fine on my previous PC. Mouse and headset also function fine when I plug them into my laptop.

Recently, the disconnection seems to occur more frequently on the headset only (which is Bluetooth): I will hear some static cracking sound from my headset as it disconnects and then I have to unplug and replug the USB drive for the wireless headset to reconnect it.

4745454b

Titan
I had a mouse issue once, a few builds ago. Brought the old keyboard and mouse over. I don't remember the probably entirely, but it was an issue with the mouse only. Tried my backup mouse which turns out wouldn't have helped because it was the same model as the one I had. A new mouse, completely different from the other one fixed the issue. Yours is an entire bus dropping out so maybe a bad or incompatible device? Driver, or what I more worry about a bad board. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's 100% perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS