Discussion Everyone needs to be aware of this while upgrading RAM or while building their own PC.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
While upgrading RAM, the speeds of that RAM will not be at advertised speeds, unless you enable XMP. This might not be the case with auto clockable ones, but still.
https://www.amazon.in/HyperX-3200MHz-Desktop-Memory-HX432C16FB3/dp/B07WJJ9CNG?th=1
Look at the reviews. A lot of people don't know about this and they gave negative reviews about the well known HyperX Fury RAM which is one of the best in performance. a lot of people found it helpful too.

Mostly if high RAM speed is not supported, it will run at low speed thatn advertised. If the second stick is 2400 MHZ, then the faster one will run at the same speed.

This important information is not given in motherboard manuals. (Atleast in mine it wasn't given.)
Everyone should have this basic knowledge when upgrading RAM.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Basic research is not always easy, and due diligence can be hard to come by. Short of extraordinary occasions - most recent one being RTX 3090s and 3080s killed by some game in beta - user error is almost always more common than system fault, in the end.

As for that review, I wonder if they adjusted their memory frequency by hand, without touching timing. Bad eggs and counterfeits are also possible, so would manufacturers and sellers trashing each other's products, which is also par for the course.

Last edited:

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Shouldn't it be the responsibility of the RAM sellers, like Corsair, G.skill etc? Technically, XMP is an overclock. You can't read about GPU or CPU overclock either in a motherboard manual.
2nd of all, you should buy a kit of 2 sticks at least, for dualchannel operation.

Reactions: Jacob 51
This important information is not given in motherboard manuals. (Atleast in mine it wasn't given.)
Everyone should have this basic knowledge when upgrading RAM.

They didn't do it for good reason because not all RAM can run with XMP enabled by default and the motherboard won't POST.

If you want to use high performance RAM you have to enable it manually as XMP is considered as a sort of overclocking.

Reactions: Jacob 51

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Xmp is a type of overclock 'of sorts', upping memory frequency above cpu's imc. Doing it manually won't adjust primary and secondary timings unless you do that yourself, so for simplicity, you would want to use xmp as it reads the ram's profile and sets settings accordingly.
Xmp is fine to use. An actual ram overclock would be pushing ram above xmp speeds.

Once we get DDR 5, xmp might be a thing of the past with self setting power modules.

Some of those reviewers claiming to use xmp still didn't run above 2400. So either they're doing it wrong, running wrong chipset or ram is false advertising.

Reactions: CountMike

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah i know. There's plenty xmp guides on the web, i don't know why people there whinging. That person obviously thinks xmp is automatic and obviously has no sense too because dual channel also accounts for performance and they only have one stick.

Dec 12, 2020
I have a problem like that with
MSI Z490-A PRO
HyperX Fury, DDR4, 32 GB, 3200MHz, CL16 (HX432C16FB3K2/32)

Unfortunately when I enable XMP to OC ram to 3200 the system won't boot and I have to remove batter to reset bios. So I have to run it at 2400Mhz. So the problem might not be with the users.

TRENDING THREADS