Everything I need to know about Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

subduck9

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I'm curious about installing Windows 10 on my laptop and I'm wondering if there's anything I need to know about it before I do that.

I know that you can register at Microsoft Insider to get a free (beta) copy of it. I have Windows 7 professional.

Solution
Primarily, know that Windows 10 is still in a Preview state.
It is not done yet.

Second, you get whatever updates and changes they throw at you, whenever they choose. You cannot turn that off.

Last...it really should not be used as a primary OS on a primary PC. I've been using/testing it since day 1, and it it OK. But not on my primary PC.

Archgaull

Admirable
I used it for a bit, honestly I didn't hit any major snags and I really, really liked it. I could still run programs like Steam, and played CS:GO and other games fine. The only major issue, but it isn't a bug, is that because it has yet to be released, there is no 3rd party programs for Windows Ten, so I decided to switch back.

USAFRet

Titan
Primarily, know that Windows 10 is still in a Preview state.
It is not done yet.

Second, you get whatever updates and changes they throw at you, whenever they choose. You cannot turn that off.

Last...it really should not be used as a primary OS on a primary PC. I've been using/testing it since day 1, and it it OK. But not on my primary PC.

Solution

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
The best place to keep up with information and news on Windows 10 is the official blog Blogging Windows. You can join the Windows Insider program and download the Windows 10 Technical preview here.

Before you get started you should look over the FAQ and be comfortable with backing up and performing a clean installation on your system. If you plan to upgrade your environment rather than performing a clean installation, you should ensure the latest available drivers are installed for all of your devices. If you aren’t comfortable with performing a backup and clean installation, you should probably install Windows 10 Technical Preview in a virtual machine. That way your primary environment is not affected if something goes wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.