Everything is too small with 1080p resolution

Psyntaur

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
Hello there. I recently reinstalled windows and my native resolution (1080p) was automatically selected upon installing drivers for my video card. Now, before this I've been running my pc in 1360 x 768 because of this issue I am having again today with the native res and that is this:

When in 1080p, icons, text, windowed programs, my internet browser, those whole interface is scaled down to a ridiculously small size. It's hard to see from 2 feet away, it's that bad. I've seen multiple unanswered threads about this issue but everyone plays dumb like the OP is the only one that's ever had the issue...one guy even got told he just needed glasses! The ignorance! Here's what I've tried (I have Windows 8.1 btw):

I know you can go into "personalize" from desktop and then "display" to select the size you want ICONS and TEXT to be, but like the caps indicate, it only lets you resize icons and text. Windowed programs still look small in every single different scale. I literally have to zoom in to every new page on the internet to see anything. I found that the "Medium" scale setting made my icons and taskbar a little larger, and "Large" scale made it normal again, but the icon grid is screwed up. There isn't enough room for the last column of icons on the right side of the TV (Yes, I'm using a 1080p TV, and it has nothing to do with the issue, because others are having this problem with standard PC moniters).

Has anyone been able to discern the cause of this annoyance? I want to run my games in 1080p, but not if everything else is ruined by an extremely small interface.

One last thing, my TV is only rated for 720p, but hooked up to gpu my pc shows it's native res is 1080p. I can run games, watch videos and movies, the works, all in 1080p, so what's up with that? I fear this may be the issue but I doubt it, as others who have had this question and been left unanswered did indeed have 1080p moniters or TV displays.

You shouldn't need my specs, but here you go since I know someone will ask for them:

Vizio 321VL
GTX 660 FTW
...umm those are the only 2 in the equation here, but ask for anything else if you need.

If you got this far and don't have an answer for me, but you think you can point me in the right direction of who might, please let me know.

Well that's it guys! If you could solve this long and annoying mystery then much glory and honor will be bestowed to your name.

Much Thanks

if you go to control panel>display you should have an option to set custom dpi.keep in mind you can only make the text etc so large before you run across the other problem of everything not fitting in the frame.this setting only affects your desktop,files etc,not your browser.depending on your browser you can also set the size.what browser are you using?

Your TV is 720p. I may be an idiot but I'm pretty sure it cannot display 1080p pixels, period. What it might do is take a 1080 signal and downscale it to 720p. I would think the problem lies in your video card not detecting the TV's resolution properly. What happens if you force it to output 720?

Psyntaur

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014

Fast response. Nice. I'm using Chrome but it does the same thing in IE and Mozilla Firefox. As stated in my original post, I have tried scaling from the display window, but that didn't work for reasons I stated previously.

jackbnimble5150

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
ok I have a 720p tv that I hooked up to my computer and had the same problem. I didn't read the other answers but I fixed my screen. im on windows 8.1 as well. I right clicked on the desktop. chose screen resolution, and at the bottom there Is a link to make text and other items larger or smaller, click that... the next page theres a box to check that says let me choose one scaling level for all my displays, check that...and it gives you 3 options, smaller, medium, and larger. I picked larger, and then hit apply...itll sign you out and when you sign back in everything should be bigger....icons still in arrangement, internet explorers display....everything. the only thing I cant figure out is fitting my desktop background picture to the screen. its smaller still and centered.. let me know if that works cus it did for me.

Jonasidas

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016

I know this is kinda two years or so later, but I thought I'd throw it out there for anyone wondering. Your desktop background is "smaller than your new resolution". Whatever resolution you had prior, and depending on the settings you have for your background (centered, streched, fit to screen, etc.) you will notice a difference. 1080 literally means one thousand and eighty pixels wide/across the screen the "other number"

Ajarn Spencer

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

Go to chrome settings, show advanced settings (bottom of page) , scroll to 'web content' and click 'customise fonts'
You can set a minimum font size.
Otherwise ise zoom with ctrl and the + buttons
I have the same problem that the higher the resolution they are making the screens the tiny yeah everything is getting on the screen. I think that user interface designers are still using the same way of design that they use when we only had 1040×700 pixels screens. as displays increase the resolution, web designers and app design news continue to use the same stupid eight pig so fun size. Most phones on the computer it should be about minimum 16 pixels these days to be able to read without straining your eyes, or getting long sighted.
Are usually go to the control panel/display/change screen resolution and bring it down to 1280 x720 px, and increase the text size of programs using windows, and increSe text size in browsers using advanced settings