Everything lags when I play for a while / PC crashes when I start up games for the first time.

seaswifty

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
Hey,

My pc has some issues and I can't find any solutions anywhere so I'll just ask 'em. I have two major problems with my computer that I'd like to share, I hope any of you have an explanation.

Problem #1

So, if my computer is on for about 5-6 hours (sometimes less), Every game starts to lag. Even the smaller games like Darwin Project or Stick Fight: The game (It's pathetic but it's true). But I have been playing a lot of games like Rocket League, PUBG, Overwatch and Jurassic World Evolution. It's way worse in the heavier games. I have about 20-30 fps in those games and I don't know how to fix it. I've tried to change every setting but nothing works, I hope someone knows what's happening.

Problem #2

So, I start up my computer, everything is fine until I start a game and play for about 5 to 10 minutes. Suddenly everything starts lagging heavily, makes loud robotic sounds and then freezes. Then it crashes, restarts and everything is fine afterward. It ONLY happens when I start up my pc for the first time and after it restarts everything is fine. I would appreciate some help because it is super annoying.

My Specs:

CPU - Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz (Haswell 22nm Technology)

RAM - 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (8-8-8-24)

Motherboard - ASRock B85M Pro4 (CPUSocket)

Graphic card - VE248 (1920x1080@60Hz), SyncMaster (1680x1050@60Hz), 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI)

Storage - 223GB Crucial CT240BX200SSD1 (SATA (SSD), 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164 (SATA )

Solution
ensure your ssd is less than 80% full on any partition, else performance drops dramatically.

unless you have expressly told windows to disable the pagefile, regardless of amount of ram you have, windows will use pagefile (blame bill). ensure your pagefile has enough space to grow/or hard set it.

I see your cpu is pretty old, have you ever re-pasted? could be a heat issue use HWMonitor to track your temps.

no idea what version of windows you are using, but open event viewer and see whether theres a log of whats causing your issue.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
A 4GB GTX 1070?... something is not reading the card properly(it's an 8GB card, unless you bought some weird 3rd party one from aliexpress).

First, check 'Device manager' for any conflicts. Next make sure all drivers are up to date.
You should also run a CHKDSK: https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/fix-hard-drives-chkdsk-windows-10/
and an SFC scan: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-sfc-command-utility-fix-system-files-windows-10

It would probably also be a good idea to check the health of your drives: http://www.hdtune.com/

I'd also bring up 'Task Manager' and see if there's any non-Windows applications that are consuming lots of CPU/GPU/MEM/HD. If so, disable that app.

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
ensure your ssd is less than 80% full on any partition, else performance drops dramatically.

unless you have expressly told windows to disable the pagefile, regardless of amount of ram you have, windows will use pagefile (blame bill). ensure your pagefile has enough space to grow/or hard set it.

I see your cpu is pretty old, have you ever re-pasted? could be a heat issue use HWMonitor to track your temps.

no idea what version of windows you are using, but open event viewer and see whether theres a log of whats causing your issue.

Solution

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
Check your task manager, if you have windows 7 close everything in the task manager but explorer.exe crss.exe (there might be 2 of these dont end) winlogon.exe taskmgr.exe then go to start menu type msconfig press enter, go to services then disable all services but any windows servives, then go to startup tab in msconfig close ALL nothing is needed. then press apply, it will take a while, then press restart. let me know if it works. if the problem still occurs, its the graphics card most likely, same thing happened to me when I upgraded my graphics card R5 240. maybe you can remove the graphics card blow out all dust in the graphic card slot if there is any, then remove all the ram clean the ram and the ram slots, put back close computer, play! If you ever see rundll.exe in the task manager END IT for me when I run a game rundll opens and wasted 100% cpu usage, I end it, game stops lagging. Hope it works.