Everything to Know About Those Supposedly Leaked Intel Roadmaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
HKEPC's roadmap claims the Core-X series will land with 18 cores, but that doesn't agree with Intel's own announcement that the 28-core model should come in Q4 of this year.
I don't understand, what does one have to do with the other? In the author's own words from another article (referenced in this article):

"This 28-core design is likely a variant of Intel's $10,000 28-core Xeon Platinum Scalable 8180 [...] Intel told us the 14nm chip would target the professional workstation market, so it certainly won't be an X-Series part."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-28-core-cpu-5ghz,37244.html

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Paul, your credibility is fading almost as fast as Intel's.

They launched back in Q3 of 2017:

https://ark.intel.com/products/120496/Intel-Xeon-Platinum-8180-Processor-38_5M-Cache-2_50-GHz

Even if they did release a lower-cost version of these, you're still looking at several $k and a $500+ motherboard. And with clocks in the ballpark of 2.8/3.5 GHz base/turbo, it's not even clear what kind of non-server application would run better on them than a lower core-count, higher-clocked Xeon W or LGA-2066 HEDT.

The point is that what Intel was probably talking about was a refresh of their Scalable Xeon line, which is irrelevant to most of your readership. Mentioning it here just spreads confusion and FUD from their ill-conceived stunt.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

That was an oversight, thanks for the reminder. Fixed.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

You shouldn't ascribe malicious intent to an oversight. Given my previous coverage of the incident, it's hard to make a claim that I'm shilling for Intel. The 28-core model that Intel announced has in fact not been released. As to what will differentiate that product from the already-released model, you'll have to ask Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.