Everything You Need To Know About Android 5.0 Lollipop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovah-chan

Honorable
ART is not actually a new runtime; its been around for a while. It's only just now officially replacing the dated Dalvik runtime and is going to give a pretty big boost on battery life now. The only reason they've finally decided to make the switch is because ART has become a lot more stable ever since its conception and is pretty mature now.

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
http://www.cnet.com/products/google-android-5-0-lollipop/

Well I read it first there from my G+ on my Nexus 5. So, who is copying who? the article

wiad

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
I find it funny how when Apple adds a feature to ios that has already been implemented on Android, people are always very quick to point it out and criticize them. However when Android adds a feature that is already on ios, such as the flashlight quick setting or responding to notifications straight from the lock screen, nobody is quick to point out that ios already has this feature. Just an observation but maybe I am missing something.

How about also changing the rules so that vendors have to use a vanilla Android and provide drivers to Google. That way Google can make an installer that can simply install a vanilla Android on release day. Then clear out unnecessary drivers after installation.

That way people can have an up to date Android phone that is good for more than 18 months with a current OS. I was going to buy an Xperia Z until I found out that when you root a phone you can't just simply install a vanilla Android. Rather you have to get a modified build.

If my PC meets the specs I can install the latest Windows or Linux distro. Not wait for a special build from the vendor. Why can't the phone be the same? It's just a tiny PC.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I'm pretty excited for this I got a very noticeable performance boost with Kit Kat on my LG G2 but I know it can be even smoother like my Windows Phone and iPhone. The battery life also improved a bit for me which was already great so I'm very eager to see if it lasts even more.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
@velocityg4 congrats, you just bloated android to 20+gb like windows.

that said, i would like this.
an internal hard drive for android that is ssd like, with a required sd card slot, that crap can run off of... that would be nice.

pyro411

Honorable
May 22, 2012
@velocityg4 sadly it's not that easy across all phones.

With CDMA based phones you must get any radio firmware upgrade tested and certified by the tower owner(s) such as Verizon or Sprint.

Another issue with CDMA is 1 company owns the patents on it and hasn't/wont open source the drivers to control the radio so you have to wait for that company to release a driver binary for the radio in question to work on the Android Version you want to flash.

I could go on but in general - Until every device & CPU instruction set is open sourced and integrated into the kernel source code, we're stuck with the method of updates that we have now.

A good example on this would be the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Texas Instruments dropped support for the chip that is the video card in the phone so there's no new drivers for Android 5.0. So even though Android L could breathe new life into that phone, it's pretty much dead due to lack of support from the first parties.

rhapdog

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Most of this has been on Windows Phone quite a while, except default data encryption, which prevents me from plugging my microSD into my computer for recovery of a damaged card, like I had to do this week.

fkr

Splendid
Remember, once Google releases Lollipop code, we'll deliver updates to One devices within 90 days. #HTCAdvantage

^^ tweet from HTC this morning. ALways nice to know that with HTC you will get your OS updates for at least 2 years.

allawash

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
@pyro411 CDMA is on it's way out as it only pertains to 3G, 4G uses a different method of transmission. The patent owners days are numbered. My Moto X through Verizon is dual banded and is almost always using 4G and sometimes 3G.

Amdlova

Distinguished
Long live to windows phone... 3 years with 800 no faliure no reset. lumia 630 reset only because i forgot to recharge 3 days on battery!

I will get an android device when don't have bugs

G

Released... then 6 months to a year Australian carriers release a modified version, a question for someone. Why is it when a Android phone in Australia is on mute or with the headphones plugged in the camera will still make a audible (MAX VOLUME) shutter sound but on iPhone it does not?

From what i read it is apparently the law in Australia... one of the main reasons i run a ROM from another country as taking photos of my new born was impossible as the shutter sound would wake her up.

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Gaming on android. Yep 32 or 16 gigs of storage is going to give you a tons of games. The hardware for android gaming to be at least on the level of a handheld has been there whats holding it back is the inability to have more than 4 games along with other apps. Probably gonna get a lot of down votes but I don't like android any more 4.4 was enough. Each new version of android gets more and more locked downed and optimized for low end hardware for emerging markets. Better graphics that you can't take advantage of due to a lack of storage. Heck more features in general you won't be able to enjoy fully due to a lack of storage. This encryption I bet means even more anti sd card. Optimizations that really won't be a big deal with your hardware and memory optimizations that when you actually try to do more advanced stuff shows the limitations of not having more ram. For instance try attaching file to a email in browser in firefox on android 4.4 on a device with 1 gig of ram. It wont work firefox will get moved to the background while a file explorer opens refreshing the page 7 times out of ten. Sure on a phone you would just use a mailing app but for a tablet you got for just doing homework boy is that a pain in the ass. Android years ago looked like it would bea tiny p.c. in the future, now it just looks like some locked down iphone alternative. Lets stop hyping android till it goes back to allowing sd card support, flash. And quit bull crapping us on ram as if it were apple and make 2 gigs standard.

g-unit1111

Titan

Trust me, in my time as a mod here, Apple news articles attract haters like moths to a bug zapper. :lol:

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
"One of the changes is that you can now see your notifications directly on the lockscreen, and even reply to them."

I don't want any notifications visible on the lock screen. That's why I have a lock screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.