Everytime I donwload something the app closes itself.

Chris_Just

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
So steam and utorrent closes itself after a few minutes after I download something. Not like before I just go to sleep at night and let my download finish, and now I have to open the app everytime it closes itself. I can't leave my laptop on at night cause there's no use if the app closes itself, so I have to download it in the morning and afternoon instead just to check it regularly. My download is mostly in gigabytes so it takes time to finish, if I can't download at night it will take me 2-3 days just to finish downloading. Is there a way to fix this? I know the problem is not on steam nor in utorrent, something in my laptop is preventing this apps to download in hours without stopping.

I have not tried utorrent lately but now it takes almost an hour before steam closes itself during a download. I'm using a wifi by the way.

Solution
if system isn't restarting or something programmed closing these apps I would guess it's a hardware problem. memory not being able to access data and causing programs to shutdown, disk problems not allowing the applications to continue running, CPU issues. but all of those problems should return errors, hard crashes, or BSOD.
you would definitely be informed by Windows if something like that was occurring and/or you would see the crash happen. but it's one or the other; an application shutting down non-essential programs, Windows install corruption, or hardware problems.

reinstall Windows along with your motherboard and other hardware drivers.
my Lenovo has a power scheme that alloys input of times to shutdown or go into low power states on it's own. if you have this type of configuration enabled it can shut itself or non-vital programs down at those times.

also Windows Update with 10 can be set to restart your system at certain times to apply updates. when your system reboots the apps you had open can be closed. check if that time is set for when this usually occurs.
maybe try setting uTorrent to run at system start-up.

Chris_Just

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
I don't think it's the problem, even if my laptop goes to sleep mode from being inactive at night I can still see my apps open and still downloading with a huge progress when I wake up in the morning before. Windows update won't update itself without my permission, so I don't find it as a problem. I tried to close everything especially my antivirus except steam to see if it will still close itself without any interference from the other programs, after a few minutes and voila steam just disappeared right infront of me. So I have to open it every single time.

if system isn't restarting or something programmed closing these apps I would guess it's a hardware problem. memory not being able to access data and causing programs to shutdown, disk problems not allowing the applications to continue running, CPU issues. but all of those problems should return errors, hard crashes, or BSOD.
you would definitely be informed by Windows if something like that was occurring and/or you would see the crash happen. but it's one or the other; an application shutting down non-essential programs, Windows install corruption, or hardware problems.

reinstall Windows along with your motherboard and other hardware drivers.

Solution