[SOLVED] Everytime I play videogames, my computer blacks out and freezes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
I've built this computer today.

As I've written above, every time when I play videogames (or probably do anything GPU related) my computer freezes. The screen goes black, and says "No Input", my keyboard and mouse turn off as well. When it does that, an LED light turns on on the motherboard saying "CPU".

Specifications:
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX (latest BIOS)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8GB
  • 2x(2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT, 2400MHz, CL16)
I've been Google-ing my problem, but I only found people, that had this issue, when they tried to boot their computer. Mine works, until I do something GPU related (I think so, but I could be wrong. That's why I'm asking here.). I hope someone can help :)

Solution
A new monitor solved the issue. I also bought another adapter (VGA to HDMI) in which you can plug in a micro USB for additional power, and it works as well. Looks like the adapter couldn't handle everything the GPU was outputting or something and it shut off. With this new one, everything's fine.

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
Today I've tested my GPU in my brothers computer (600W PSU from LC Power (LC6600)), and it worked perfectly. That eliminated thr possibility of the GPU and PSU being an issue.

Then I thought about that red debud CPU LED on ths motherboard, and I thought that maybe it was either the CPU or motherboard, so I carried my computer to my friends house. We swapped CPUs and GPUs. He put my 1600 in his system, and I put his 3600 in my system, he put my 580 in his system, and I put his 5700 XT in my systrm. It worked perfectly. Then we swapped again, so I had all my components in my system, and he had all his components in his system. It worked perfectly...

Then I thought that the CPU reseating was the issue and is now solved, so I carried my computer back home.

I tried running Heaven on it again, and the monitor and peripherals turned off again...so the CPU reseating didn't fix the issue.

Then I thought: what was different between my setup and his...it was the monitor. More specifically: the cable connecting the monitor and GPU. I had an active adapter from VGA (analog) to HDMI (digital).

Then I got an HDMI cable, and connected my GPU to a TV. It worked perfectly. It ran Heaven for 15 minutes straight (until I stopped it).

Issue: adapter from VGA to HDMI
Solution: new monitor with either HDMI or DP.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've tried it with a 600W unit from LC Power (LC6600). Same issue.
With that power supply, it's not really any different. To quote one discussion I stumbled across regarding the LC Power:
I wouldn't even plug a LC Power PSU to the wall socket. They have a bad reputation and with a reason.

Until you have a known good quality PSU powering the system, it's very difficult to diagnose.

Reactions: TomySLO

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
With that power supply, it's not really any different. To quote one discussion I stumbled across regarding the LC Power:

Until you have a known good quality PSU powering the system, it's very difficult to diagnose.

Hmm, I see. I don't have any other PSUs that I could test it with. Is using the Enermax one safe? I'm going to upgrade the PSU as soon as I can, but I'm wondering if it's even safe using the Enermax for now.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'd strongly prefer you to get a good one ASAP, but, if you completely avoid gaming or anything that will put stress on the GPU, you should be able to get by for now. That things are blacking out and freezing tell me the PSUs you're trying aren't worth the cardboard packaging they came in.

I am not saying it's safe. I can't even be 100% sure that it is the PSU, but it very much sounds like it. There are so many bad PSUs out there in general (often misrepresenting how much power they can provide) that it's scary.

Definitely familiarize yourself with the info in the first link in my sig, and make a choice based on that.

Reactions: TomySLO

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
I'd strongly prefer you to get a good one ASAP, but, if you completely avoid gaming or anything that will put stress on the GPU, you should be able to get by for now. That things are blacking out and freezing tell me the PSUs you're trying aren't worth the cardboard packaging they came in.

I am not saying it's safe. I can't even be 100% sure that it is the PSU, but it very much sounds like it. There are so many bad PSUs out there in general (often misrepresenting how much power they can provide) that it's scary.

Definitely familiarize yourself with the info in the first link in my sig, and make a choice based on that.

I've read Darkbreeze's post, and I checked the different models that he said were good, and that are available in my country.

I've found 3:
  • Corsair RM650x (650W, 80+ Gold, Modular) | 117,85 €
  • Seasonic Prime GX (650W, 80+ Gold, Modular) | 148,46 €
  • EVGA Supernova GQ (850W, 80+ Gold, Semi-Modular) | 128,54 €

There aren't a lot of Seasonic units available in my country, and if there are, they're quite expensive.
The EVGA one is semi-modular, and I'd prefer it to be fully-modular.
That's why I'm thinking about Corsair's RM650x. 🤔

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
That, I'm not YET sure of. In any case, your system is safer than it was. I imagine that the next steps might be to RMA the Sapphire card (I don't know if it's still in the warranty period).

True, but the GPU worked fine on my brother's computer. Also, no, it's not under warranty anymore if I'm correct.

I've been playing Rocket League for around 30 minutes, and the screen and peripherals turned off. Then I ran heaven for 4 hours, and it was working fine (until I turned it off 1 hour ago).

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
Hmm, that is a little odd. A passive HDMI-to-VGA adapter I know is a problem, but I didn't think an active one would be a problem.

I can't understand why it is, but glad you found the solution.

Thank you. I'm gonna mark the question as solved when I try it out with a new monitor and am 100% sure that that was the problem.

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
A new monitor solved the issue. I also bought another adapter (VGA to HDMI) in which you can plug in a micro USB for additional power, and it works as well. Looks like the adapter couldn't handle everything the GPU was outputting or something and it shut off. With this new one, everything's fine.

Reactions: King_V
Solution