[SOLVED] Everytime I play videogames, my computer blacks out and freezes

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
I've built this computer today.

As I've written above, every time when I play videogames (or probably do anything GPU related) my computer freezes. The screen goes black, and says "No Input", my keyboard and mouse turn off as well. When it does that, an LED light turns on on the motherboard saying "CPU".

Specifications:
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX (latest BIOS)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8GB
  • 2x(2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT, 2400MHz, CL16)
I've been Google-ing my problem, but I only found people, that had this issue, when they tried to boot their computer. Mine works, until I do something GPU related (I think so, but I could be wrong. That's why I'm asking here.). I hope someone can help :)

Solution
A new monitor solved the issue. I also bought another adapter (VGA to HDMI) in which you can plug in a micro USB for additional power, and it works as well. Looks like the adapter couldn't handle everything the GPU was outputting or something and it shut off. With this new one, everything's fine.

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
did you have to use any adapters to connect any of the PSU cables to your GPU?

that PSU doesn't sound like a relaiable brand
No. I used the cable that came with the PSU. It's a semi-modular PSU so I plugged in one end of the cable into the PSU, and the other ones into the GPU (1x 8pin, 1x 6pin). Nothing in between.

But earlier I ran an MSI Kombustor stress test so I would show my brother the problem, and then it worked fine. It was running for 1 hour (until I stopped it) and the highest temperature was 69°C. I'm not sure if it's "fixed" now because I didn't change anything from when I posted my problem.

(Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, I'm replying on my phone.)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You built this pc today. Has Windows Fully updated and installed? That generally can take upto 2 days or more. Did you install the motherboard drivers or goto the motherboard website and download the driver package for the chipsets, like audio and Lan and USB and pcie?

Or did you just throw in windows, and jump right into a game?

Reactions: TomySLO

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
You built this pc today. Has Windows Fully updated and installed? That generally can take upto 2 days or more. Did you install the motherboard drivers or goto the motherboard website and download the driver package for the chipsets, like audio and Lan and USB and pcie?

Or did you just throw in windows, and jump right into a game?
Yes, Windows has been fully updated. I went to MSI's website and downloaded the chipset, audio and LAN drivers and installed them. I've also updated the BIOS, and installed the drivers for the GPU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That should be enough for a Rx580. Is Ryzen Master installed. Balanced power plan. Turned off Xbox DVR, game helper stuff.

Check windows event viewer, there should be some red-flagged critical events. Maybe they'll point in a direction. Blackscreens are usually gpu related and I'm wondering if you aren't being the victim of gpu spikes overloading the protective circuitry in the psu.

I'd also test it with multiple games, Asus RealBench etc, as Kombuster doesn't douch with cpu, it's mostly gpu, so you aren't getting cross-loaded with all 3 core components.

Last edited:

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
That should be enough for a Rx580. Is Ryzen Master installed. Balanced power plan. Turned off Xbox DVR, game helper stuff.

Check windows event viewer, there should be some red-flagged critical events. Maybe they'll point in a direction. Blackscreens are usually gpu related and I'm wondering if you aren't being the victim of gpu spikes overloading the protective circuitry in the psu.

I'd also test it with multiple games, Asus RealBench etc, as Kombuster doesn't douch with cpu, it's mostly gpu, so you aren't getting cross-loaded with all 3 core components.
No, Ryzen Master is not installed. I'm not sure what it does. This is my first time having a Ryzen system. I have "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan.

I went to the "Xbox Console Companion" > "Settings" > "Captures" > "Windows Settings" > Disabled "Xbox Game Bar" and disabled "Captures". I left "Game Mode" on. Is this correct?

I've checked event viewer and there's one critical event. Also, there are a lot of errors and warnings, but I'm not sure what most of those mean.

Pictures from event viewer: View: https://imgur.com/a/r2a2bvN

I've downloaded RealBench, and stress-tested the system for 15 minutes. I passed the stress-test with the highest CPU temperature being 75°C and the highest GPU temperature being 63°C. Also, every time when the CPU hit 75°C, RealBench said "Result Hash Match!". I'm not sure what that means, but every time it happened, the CPU and GPU temperatures dropped 2-3°C. Didn't test any more games though, will do that now.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Look at the 'Critical Error" not so much the Error charts, what I see from those pics is recurring application errors, but there's no saying if that's just a little glitch that gets easily recovered from or not. Critical errors are what affects the pc in a big way.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Enermax EPM500AWT? I found discussions about it from 2014, and they seem to have come out in 2013.

I don't know if the EPF500AWT is similar/the same, but it was reviewed by Aris on the Tom's Hardware site in 2017. It got 0 out of 5 stars.

Also noted:
A series of unfortunate events forced Enermax to eventually shut down its manufacturing line, so now it relies on the work of other OEMs, including Channel Well Technology (CWT) and Yue-Lin. With its Platimax D.F. family, Enermax partnered up with Fortech Electronics, a division of Colorful Group (CFG). Chaintech and Segotep belong to CFG, the first brand dealing with graphics cards and mainboards, while the second sells cases and PSUs

And, the listed cons of the PSU:
  • Expensive
  • Build quality
  • Inrush current
  • 5VSB turn-on transient
  • PCIe and EPS sockets are identical (on the PSU's side)
  • OPP is set sky-high
Overall, I personally wouldn't trust that PSU at all.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ouch. Been a while since Iooked up an Enermax psu, they used to be ok/decent. Only difference I see between the M and F models is the M is semi modular, the F is full modular, so after the above post, I'd be sceptical of that psu. It shouldn't have issues with rated power, but it's one of things as to whether the tested unit was cherry picked or whether production models go cheaper/less QC, which unfortunately isn't that uncommon with corner cutting manufacturing processes.

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
I've borrowed a 700W PSU for testing from my neighbor. It's the only +500W he had, but I'm not sure from which brand it is. I've tested it with the 700W PSU, and I can run Heaven benchmark for as long as I want to, but as soon as I press "Quit", it throws me to the desktop. A few seconds later, the screen goes black, keyboard and mouse as well. I had my old 750 Ti, and I tested the benchmark with that as well. It worked perfectly (the performance was terrible but it didn't "black out"). Also I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning but I have my monitor hooked up with an adapter. It's an active adapter from VGA (monitor) to HDMI (GPU). Basically, the 750 Ti without the adapter works, RX 580 with adapter does not work (I don't have any other monitor).

Look at the 'Critical Error" not so much the Error charts, what I see from those pics is recurring application errors, but there's no saying if that's just a little glitch that gets easily recovered from or not. Critical errors are what affects the pc in a big way.

I'm not sure what to do with that information though. The "Kernel-Power" only tells me, that the computer shut down unexpectedly. I may be wrong though, please correct me.

Enermax EPM500AWT? I found discussions about it from 2014, and they seem to have come out in 2013.

I don't know if the EPF500AWT is similar/the same, but it was reviewed by Aris on the Tom's Hardware site in 2017. It got 0 out of 5 stars.

Also noted:

And, the listed cons of the PSU:
  • Expensive
  • Build quality
  • Inrush current
  • 5VSB turn-on transient
  • PCIe and EPS sockets are identical (on the PSU's side)
  • OPP is set sky-high
Overall, I personally wouldn't trust that PSU at all.

Yeah I understand what you mean but I don't have any other PSU, only the one I borrowed from my neighbor. I'm not gonna be able to keep it forever.

Ouch. Been a while since Iooked up an Enermax psu, they used to be ok/decent. Only difference I see between the M and F models is the M is semi modular, the F is full modular, so after the above post, I'd be sceptical of that psu. It shouldn't have issues with rated power, but it's one of things as to whether the tested unit was cherry picked or whether production models go cheaper/less QC, which unfortunately isn't that uncommon with corner cutting manufacturing processes.

Yeah I'm skeptical as well (now). Before I posted this, I didn't know. I'm new to PC building.

Last edited:

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
It doesn't look like its the PSU. Heaven ran fine, until I quit. Then it all blacked out again. The PSU didn't make a difference. Not sure what to do next.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Inter-tech SL-700 700W PSU

https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/psu/atx/sl-700

That's also a questionable one - a 700W PSU that maxes out at 500W on the 12V rails. So, the PSU is still in question. A discussion on linustechtips indicates that the consensus is that it's crap - possibly worse than the Enermax you have.

A discussion on these forums from back in 2012 indicates that the InterTech should not be trusted. And that was 8 years ago!

Well, regardless of whether the GPU is good or itself turns out to be defective, both PSUs are really the first possible point of failure, I think. Even if you DO have to replace the GPU, you really need to have a better quality PSU.

What country are you in/country are you purchasing from? The first step is to get a solid, reliable PSU. Click on the first link in my signature, and read that write-up. It's a MUST-READ for getting a quality PSU.

Having a low quality PSU in your system is as risky to your motheboard, CPU, GPU, etc., as getting a ride home with an extremely drunk cab driver is to your health.

If with a good PSU you still have issues, then we can try to narrow down if it's the GPU.

TomySLO

Prominent
Jul 14, 2020
Inter-tech SL-700 700W PSU
https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/psu/atx/sl-700

That's also a questionable one - a 700W PSU that maxes out at 500W on the 12V rails. So, the PSU is still in question. A discussion on linustechtips indicates that the consensus is that it's crap - possibly worse than the Enermax you have.

A discussion on these forums from back in 2012 indicates that the InterTech should not be trusted. And that was 8 years ago!

Well, regardless of whether the GPU is good or itself turns out to be defective, both PSUs are really the first possible point of failure, I think. Even if you DO have to replace the GPU, you really need to have a better quality PSU.

What country are you in/country are you purchasing from? The first step is to get a solid, reliable PSU. Click on the first link in my signature, and read that write-up. It's a MUST-READ for getting a quality PSU.

Having a low quality PSU in your system is as risky to your motheboard, CPU, GPU, etc., as getting a ride home with an extremely drunk cab driver is to your health.

If with a good PSU you still have issues, then we can try to narrow down if it's the GPU.

I've tried it with a 600W unit from LC Power (LC6600). Same issue.