[SOLVED] EVGA 1000 GQ (EVGA 210-GQ-1000)

Jun 15, 2019
Hi.

I'm looking for a PSU to go with Ryzen 5 3600 and RX 580.
I found a used EVGA 1000 GQ for the equivalent of 90 USD (components are generally more expensive in my country)

PCPartPicker says they are compatible with EVGA 210-GQ-1000, is this the same PSU ?

Solution
Honestly, mining stresses a GPU a lot, but they really are designed to be run at 100% for awhile. I have had a few mining GPUs. The can be a pain if they come with a mining bios, but as long as you flash them back to a gaming bios they should be fine.

I bought an ex-mining RX480. It had code 43. I flashed it back and it worked fine for over a year until I sold it. The new owner says it works flawlessly still.

However, mining isnt so kind on PSUs since miners often use molex/sata to PCIe adapters, as well as other funky ways to power more GPUs than the PSU is designed for. This can cause many types of damage. I see tons of PSUs with burned-out modular ports and other damage because of this. Even if a mining PSU seems to be working when...
The gq is a really good unit, that said a second hand psu is about the only component I absolutely wouldn't buy second hand.

You have no idea how it's been treated, ypu only need a 600w psu to be absolutely safe with an rx 580.

You surely can find a decent new unit for that kind of price range?
What country are you actually in?

Reactions: RodroX
Jun 15, 2019
That PSU will work. The PSU may have been used for powering a BTC mining rig with tons of GPUs and had a hard life, so its up to you if you want to risk that.

Ok, noted. I'm trying to keep within budget by buying some components used. Maybe the PSU is best to get new.

The RX 580 may also have been used for mining then? From what I've gathered they usually run them undervoltage which is good, but for long periods of time which is not so good.

Honestly, mining stresses a GPU a lot, but they really are designed to be run at 100% for awhile. I have had a few mining GPUs. The can be a pain if they come with a mining bios, but as long as you flash them back to a gaming bios they should be fine.

I bought an ex-mining RX480. It had code 43. I flashed it back and it worked fine for over a year until I sold it. The new owner says it works flawlessly still.

However, mining isnt so kind on PSUs since miners often use molex/sata to PCIe adapters, as well as other funky ways to power more GPUs than the PSU is designed for. This can cause many types of damage. I see tons of PSUs with burned-out modular ports and other damage because of this. Even if a mining PSU seems to be working when it arrives, there is no saying how long it will last since it has been abused.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution
Jun 15, 2019
Is it under warranty? If it isn't then I'd say even $90 isn't worth it. Link me to your favourite local online store and tell me your budget (in your currency), maybe I can find you some good ones for around the same price.

Thanks! I use netonnet.no if you can make sense of it, otherwise Amazon is ok also.
Netonnet has a returned MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX they are selling out cheaper than the Tomahawk.

My plan was to build a PC for 50/50 gaming and video-editing(mainly 1080 and some 4k) ;
Ryzen 5 3600 or 2600
RX 580
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB / 32 GB

Well, Netonnet has a very limited selection of PSUs. But if that EVGA GQ has no warranty, and is from a questionable source (i.e. the seller can't pin point what the PSU was used for), I'd rather pick up something like this instead:

https://www.netonnet.no/art/datakom.../seasonic-focus-gx-550w-80gold/1012168.11142/

Gaming Plus Max actually has worse VRM heatsink than the Tomahawk, so it should be cheaper. But either of the two boards, and the B450A-PRO MAX are great boards for their (normal) prices.

Jun 15, 2019
Well, Netonnet has a very limited selection of PSUs. But if that EVGA GQ has no warranty, and is from a questionable source (i.e. the seller can't pin point what the PSU was used for), I'd rather pick up something like this instead:

https://www.netonnet.no/art/datakom.../seasonic-focus-gx-550w-80gold/1012168.11142/

Gaming Plus Max actually has worse VRM heatsink than the Tomahawk, so it should be cheaper. But either of the two boards, and the B450A-PRO MAX are great boards for their (normal) prices.

Thanks. I spoke with the seller again and the EVGA has indeed been used for mining. I won't go for that option.
The PSU you linked to is on the pricier side, but the reviews says it's extremely quite which is a great benefit for video editing. For gaming the noice from PSU would probably drown in game audio.

When starting this process I asked myself "What components do I wan't to compromise on and save money?" The more I research....to be honest...none 😆