Question EVGA 1060 6GB SSC won't boost... at all.

ShredAgain

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
I dunno, it's kinda strange. I had a GTX 1060 SSC before that would boost as advertised, and would really easily overclock to 2100MHz-ish. That card had the DP failure that I see several people on the EVGA Forums post about, and I had to RMA that card. Now the new one is here and it doesn't even boost up to the 1800MHz-ish that is advertised. It's pinned at base clocks, regardless of what I'm doing with it. Does anyone have any ideas as to what my problem might be? I'm super wiped out, cuz I went on UserBenchmarks dot com and it said I performed in the 23rd percentile of 1060s. Essentially, A properly boosting, slightly overclocked 1060 3GB could outpace my card right now. Specs are below, not sure if they matter or help:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.15GHz I believe,
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 X470 MoBo,
2x8GB @ 3000MHz V-Color Skywalker RGB RAM,
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC stuck at stock,
Cougar CMX1000 1,000w Semi-Modular PSU.

I'm booting off a Sandisk SSD Plus, and have game libraries stored on 2 Hitachi Deskstar spinning irons in RAID 0.

What temps are the GPU hitting under idle/load?

What are you using to monitor? If third party make sure it's up to date. Can you post some screenies in game with MSI Afterburner OSD on? Set it to show CPU/GPU usage/temps. Vram usage, and throw in frame time variance too.

Update GPU/System drivers to the latest. Do a clean install, select it from the Custom Install option when installing. If you have any OC on take it off, that includes CPU. Run it at stock. Make sure to check all cables, Do you have a second 6-pin connector on the PSU (I think that model does), then try that. Might be worth doing a BIOS update, and a CMOS reset too.

ShredAgain

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
What temps are the GPU hitting under idle/load?

What are you using to monitor? If third party make sure it's up to date. Can you post some screenies in game with MSI Afterburner OSD on? Set it to show CPU/GPU usage/temps. Vram usage, and throw in frame time variance too.

Update GPU/System drivers to the latest. Do a clean install, select it from the Custom Install option when installing. If you have any OC on take it off, that includes CPU. Run it at stock. Make sure to check all cables, Do you have a second 6-pin connector on the PSU (I think that model does), then try that. Might be worth doing a BIOS update, and a CMOS reset too.
MSI Afterburner straight up doesn't work on this card. I've been monitoring it with GPU-Z, the baked in Hardware monitor on Superposition, and the hardware monitor built into EVGA Precision X1. Temps at Idle are around 38-41C and during Superposition 4K Optimized it never touches over 57C. I had to play with the fan curve to get that though. Will not accept ANY overclocking. I can't even get it to reliably turn up the power and temp targets.

Also, With it being an SSC model, it supposedly has a beefed up power delivery and uses a single 8-pin connector. Also running whatever drivers were available when I updated them yesterday.

TRENDING THREADS