Question EVGA 1080ti SC Black Aftermarket Cooler?

blairmiester

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
Hey everyone,

I have finally upgraded to a 1080ti (Wooo!!!) from a 1060 to power my 34 Ultrawide.
The problem is I really wish it was quieter and preferably not as hot playing games (80 degrees).
So far I have changed the thermal paste to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and that reduced temps by 4 degrees.

I have been looking at aftermarket coolers now and im torn between a NXZT G12 and an AIO cooler OR a Morpheus Core II Black with a couple of Noctua fans on it.

Has anyone else got any advice on this?
I am open to water cooling if it wont cost an arm and a leg but preferably my budget is about £150

The only thing im concerned about is how the fans are controlled (do I need an adaptor for the PWM connectors?)

Another issue thats on my mind is if I use the G12, am I right in thinking the VRAM will only be cooled with a 90mm fan?

Thanks for any help!
Blair

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The black edition is a fairly underwhelming cooler for it's class.
It does use a reference PCB though, so the G12 et al will fit without issue.

A G12 + compatible 120mm AIO is certainly a viable option. I don't have any direct experience with the Morpheus.
Yes, the 90mm fan handles the VRAM etc - while it doesn't sound like a lot, consider the stock heatsinks are sharing cooling ability with the GPU itself. An isolated, independent 90mm is perfectly adequate.

blairmiester

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
The black edition is a fairly underwhelming cooler for it's class.
It does use a reference PCB though, so the G12 et al will fit without issue.

A G12 + compatible 120mm AIO is certainly a viable option. I don't have any direct experience with the Morpheus.
Yes, the 90mm fan handles the VRAM etc - while it doesn't sound like a lot, consider the stock heatsinks are sharing cooling ability with the GPU itself. An isolated, independent 90mm is perfectly adequate.

Hi Barty,

Thanks for the response, I have a few questions though.

1. I have read online that fitting the G12 on the black edition means you have to remove the heatsinks on the VRAM cause the bracket wont fit. This has me concerned.
  2. If I was to fit a G12, could I put Noctua NF-A9 in it instead?
  3. Would I just fit a PWM adaptor for the fan?

Cheers!

blairmiester

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
1. I just meant will it just be a case of taking the ITX cooler off and putting the G12 over the top?

For 2 and 3, that would be ideal. Would feel better using a Noctua fan as I have faith in them haha

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
ITX? That's a motherboard form factor?
Yes, you take the entire GPU cooler off and install the G12 as directed.

The stock fan is fine, honestly. A 90mm fan isn't going to be particularly quiet regardless, so Noctua might be a good option. However, it might be worth testing out the stock fan first and see how you feel about it?

blairmiester

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
Sorry! I meant ICX cooler :sweatsmile:
I was asking if I would need to put aftermarket VRM heatsinks on it?
I might just buy the G12 bracket and check that it fits correctly. If it does I will spend the money on the AIO for it.

Yeah, it may be best just to try that one first.

Sorry for all the questions :sweatsmile: