[SOLVED] EVGA 1080TI SC II artifacts crash, I've RMA'd 5 times now...

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Underclocking the memory usually gives me some time before artifacts and crash, but its absurd to expect to have to do such just to not have your time ruined. Even with the memory underclocked, I still end up with crashes later. Just more game time at best. I'm on my 5th 1080ti via RMA. My PSU is fine, memtest is good, have tested in multiple builds, I'm just lost. Is this particular card just prone to problems, or is there a larger issue?

For reference, heat is a non issue. I never get more than 60c cpu and 70 gpu in game. Usually, in normal gaming I'm at 56c gpu and cpu runs higher but under 65c.
Specs are:
Cpu: i7-5820k stock
Ram:2133 quad channel ddr4 corsair
MB: 99x Fata1ity 2011v3
Gpu: 1080ti evga scii
Psu: ocz 850

Solution
A 1080ti could still be under warranty if it’s a late purchase, extended warranty or b stock card. I’ve got a founders edition regular 1080 I purchased during the 10 series clearance at Best Buy that is under warranty until August. Card probably had a 3 year warranty.

That aside complain even if it’s one of the B stock cards. I got a bunch of those $50 980tis last year from their B stock sales and had tons of issues. I had to RMA almost every single one. I unloaded all of them because I was seriously sketched out about future reliability, but one particular instance was a 980tI hybrid.

They didn’t have any more hybrid cards to replace it with so they tried repairing it and sent it back even more broken than when I sent it in. It...
Underclocking the memory usually gives me some time before artifacts and crash, but its absurd to expect to have to do such just to not have your time ruined. Even with the memory underclocked, I still end up with crashes later. Just more game time at best. I'm on my 5th 1080ti via RMA. My PSU is fine, memtest is good, have tested in multiple builds, I'm just lost. Is this particular card just prone to problems, or is there a larger issue?

For reference, heat is a non issue. I never get more than 60c cpu and 70 gpu in game. Usually, in normal gaming I'm at 56c gpu and cpu runs higher but under 65c.
Specs are:
Cpu: i7-5820k stock
Ram:2133 quad channel ddr4 corsair
MB: 99x Fata1ity 2011v3
Gpu: 1080ti evga scii
Psu: ocz 850
Is the PSU ten years old? I would suspect that might have something to do with it if it is.

Reactions: spentshells

Joseph_138

Distinguished
How are you still able to RMA a card so old? It's doubtful that they still have any 1080Ti cards in stock to replace it with, and they won't have any replacement cards from the RTX 20 (also out of production) or RTX 30 (unavailable due to the production delays) lines to replace it with, either. You may be out of luck on this RMA if they can't repair it. They will most likely send you a check for whatever the value of it was when it stopped working, which won't buy you a replacement in today's market. With a 1080 Ti, you shouldn't expect more than a 2070 Super or 3060 Ti, anyway, since those would probably be the nearest in performance. You definitely won't be getting a 3080 Ti for it.

Last edited:

yrly59e

Reputable
Oct 24, 2017
A 1080ti could still be under warranty if it’s a late purchase, extended warranty or b stock card. I’ve got a founders edition regular 1080 I purchased during the 10 series clearance at Best Buy that is under warranty until August. Card probably had a 3 year warranty.

That aside complain even if it’s one of the B stock cards. I got a bunch of those $50 980tis last year from their B stock sales and had tons of issues. I had to RMA almost every single one. I unloaded all of them because I was seriously sketched out about future reliability, but one particular instance was a 980tI hybrid.

They didn’t have any more hybrid cards to replace it with so they tried repairing it and sent it back even more broken than when I sent it in. It was artifacting when it got hot (which for a hybrid is actually pretty cool). When I sent it back they sent it back all scratched up, it still didn’t work and kept ramping up like a turbine. So I complained on their forum after spending my cash to mail it back. One of their reps got in touch with me, I sent the before and after pics they prepaid the return and replaced it with a brand new 1070ti hybrid.

Its not like I even had to pressure them into an upgrade, they looked me up and called me (I buy a ton of stuff from them, don’t know if that’s the norm). I told the rep I didn’t really even care if it was hybrid care so long as I had a working card.

I can’t see why they’ve RMAed it so many times unless they’re trying to fix the existing card. They pretty much suggested to me they only really would do that for odd higher end models (kingpins, hybrids, classified) and would otherwise just replace with same model or upgrade.

Reactions: omega21xx
Solution

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I know this is an old thread, and would usually avoid reviving it, however there was no conclusion. So in that effort, here is an update to close it out.

For those asking about how an RMA was allowed still after such time, and that the card was no longer being produced:

EVGA apparently started re-issuing older cards via RMA and new. Evidenced by new serial numbers. I'll edit later with these changes if necessary, but there are articles covering this within the last few months. The articles speculated it was due to shortages.

For those asking about warranty:
I just ended my warranty period middle of this year. EVGA was a great help in the ordeal and gave me one last card, which I am currently using to no issue.

The suggestion about the PSU:
I bought a new one, since it was old, not quite 10 years as stated, but it was close to 7/8 years old. The new fresh psu changed nothing for the card.

Ultimately, I now have a working card, and just had extraordinary bad luck with the EVGA SCII 1080ti cards through RMA. EVGA was extremely helpful and solved the issue. There was a mention about how after 2 or so RMA I should have requested a new card entirely, which I'l keep in mind.

Thank you for all your help!