[SOLVED] evga 2080 Super 55c idle / 84c under load

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
So I have two fans in the left side of my case blowing air at the GPU and CPU area and one external exhaust fan.

Just started trying out my evga 2800 Super on Borderlands 3. Load is a whopping 84c playing it at 1920 x 1080 (note not even 2k or 4k) with Ambient Occlusion set to low, AA off and Fog taken down from Ultra to High. I can see that both the card's fans are working too as is my PSU fan.

If the maximum safe temperature is 88c I have problems right? And 55c with fans blowing on it at idle seems way too hot to me as well :(

P.S. I just noticed the post below me talking about a 2070 Super running at 50c idle. Is there any known issues of heat problems with the Supers? Thanks.

Solution
:whistle:
That case... well, that explains the temps your getting...
An old case like that was fine running an old dual/quad core cpu with no discreet gpu - if it did, it wasn't a very strong one, like one of those passively cooled GT 710s, for example.

Remember a company called "3D cool" or such? I can't even find them with a modern search.
Probably went out of business before I really delved into PC hardware, or was before my time(33).

I know I can take that entire front of in one piece. That DVD drive is old and dead. Maybe put a big fan there instead? Maybe add a PCI fan under the RTX?
That might be doable, but you'll have to dust it out like every month if unable to accommodate that with some kind of mesh...

Jose Luis Lopes

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
what's your room temperature? Remember nvidia cards (most of them) don't spin up the fans before 60C, so idle temperature doesn't matter

And your fan setup is a bit weird.... 2 intake fans on the left side? and one "external" exhaust? where? back or top?

Can you move those fans on the side to the front of the case? Side fans usually cause turbulent air inside the case that worsens circulation of air

Reactions: yaggaz

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is there any known issues of heat problems with the Supers?
No, but a 2080 Super is a power hungry card, and can put out some heat - not recommended for minimalist builds...
What is your case?
How is the airflow set up?

If the maximum safe temperature is 88c I have problems right? And 55c with fans blowing on it at idle seems way too hot to me as well :(
Stock throttle temp for this card is 84C, actually: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212660/evga-rtx2080super-8192-190701
Unless you live in a really warm climate, then yeah, 55C at idle is darn warm. I suspect a case cooling/airflow issue.

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Thanks for replies! My technical skills are Basic to Average. I always build my own PCs but I've never seemed to let it sink in the concept of good cooling setups.

Hrm I bought this case nearly a decade ago, it came that way with the three fans. Two intakes on the left panel and one on the back. The front section is solid it doesn't seem to have snap away pieces to put the fans on the front?

Also when you say "stock throttle" does that mean the card is being slowed down at 84 degrees to avoid damage? If that's the case then that sucks because you're getting gimped performance then right?

So is there a definitive way to prove if it's an airflow issue? Like, take the sides off and have a room fan blasting on it at point blank range etc?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hrm I bought this case nearly a decade ago, it came that way with the three fans. Two intakes on the left panel and one on the back. The front section is solid it doesn't seem to have snap away pieces to put the fans on the front?
Case make and model? Is there no label on the case?

Also when you say "stock throttle" does that mean the card is being slowed down at 84 degrees to avoid damage? If that's the case then that sucks because you're getting gimped performance then right?
Yes, that's the default thermal throttle temp. Performance has been crippled at this point.
You can raise the thermal limit a little via software like Msi Afterburner and EVGA Precision X, but it doesn't change that the card's running too warm.

So is there a definitive way to prove if it's an airflow issue? Like, take the sides off and have a room fan blasting on it at point blank range etc?
Yes, that's one method. Removing the front panel is another.

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Unfortunately no, the case was pretty generic and has no labels or stickers apart from what I put there over the years

y4mNOMpVoGPUc9c0QQ2VDXgCreBIdtrkqJgLe2wZIhP2M0d8qoc0SUaHhyof5Rc3tC5BbHOzt-Nan3tXgUrgUl3Bj9YMwqyAr5bPIRySQo4oZZUfPyV-9CAvjpVsuyP1t-wLD3_QQOaRu6kEYN4lXT4uzUWMvdIXPdOvMLBp5OPeR8wNT5_gFwrW7XwT11MbM9JqcvLvzDBPTs99aMqQE727Q

Remember a company called "3D cool" or such? I can't even find them with a modern search.

I know I can take that entire front of in one piece. That DVD drive is old and dead. Maybe put a big fan there instead? Maybe add a PCI fan under the RTX?

Anyway I'll try the suggestions of taking the sides off and the room fan trick and let you know. Thank you for helping me I appreciate it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
An old case like that was fine running an old dual/quad core cpu with no discreet gpu - if it did, it wasn't a very strong one, like one of those passively cooled GT 710s, for example.

Probably went out of business before I really delved into PC hardware, or was before my time(33).

That might be doable, but you'll have to dust it out like every month if unable to accommodate that with some kind of mesh filtration.
A brand new case may be the best route.

Anyway I'll try the suggestions of taking the sides off and the room fan trick and let you know. Thank you for helping me I appreciate it.
Aye, let us know how it goes.

Solution

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Okay I think this pretty much sums up that my case is a dinosaur and I need a brand new one designed for gaming/cooling:

Borderlands 3
1920x1080
All max except Unlimited frames on, vsync off, AA off, AO low, Fog Medium:

Regular Closed case

69 load CPU
84 load GPU

Right side of the case off

67 CPU
76 GPU

Both sides off, room fan blowing directly into case (Idle before booting game, for the first time ever goes down to 41c from 55c)

68 CPU
67 GPU

Funny enough these temps are roughly what my room temperature is.

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013

snip

Aye, let us know how it goes.

y4mmD9jT3mihLC0BkgXCeZaMmq7NeF008CnzWxuw5Phmo3CTzyYgBAztjKgNWD95wOzZ0sw7diQQ3ItwXXGy5ZRy5EGM6ChEkIgynEsZR-8u6ZANeZloEL9HpbV0lnqrVQM06cNI0Yf_8MCzaHlptFaWcyNiECeo6hYWgL29le-W15u9Cn3UwPV4mb7z8DeQVW2TrMcpzK6ZmUYkQD7ow2PPQ

Here's my new case. With the fans at the basic 600rpm I redid the tests from my old case under the same conditions and got

72 load GPU
58 load CPU

I then cranked the fans up to around 1500rpm and got:

65 load GPU
58 load CPU

So some nice improvements. But I still want more hehe. I want to hit the 1440p resolution with the FPS never going below 60. I'd settle for 75fps with G-Sync so I'm looking into more fans.

I hate the sound of the fans spinning up, makes me visualise a 700 dollar video card on fire lol

Reactions: Phaaze88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That looks like a Noctua L9i, a low profile cooler designed for small form factor cases (those uber slim ones) and cpus under 65w TDP. You can use it on cpus over 65w, but Noctua warns not to push it. At 91w, I'd recommend you don't stress test it, especially if the testing involves AVX technologies.

If paste is good, application is good, seat is good and you are using at least stock fan curves, the only way you'll see a constant 55°C idle in windows is if you have some sort of constant load. Trojan, malware, anti-virus app, system scanner etc. Otherwise idle in windows should be @ 6-12°C above ambient temps with a decent ventilated case, with occasional spikes to 50's.

Id start with a virus scan, then malware scan, then ccleaner (piriform.com) default, registry tool (default, say Yes! To backup) then ccleaner again.

Can also check task manager after or before to see what % anything in cpu is using, should be bouncing at 95%± idle process with occasional spikes. If anything is running more constant at 25%± then that's most likely the culprit.

Can also check your power plan/advanced in windows, minimum cpu should be 5%-8% and max 100 %. If minimum is set at 20ish or more, that's most likely the culprit.

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Karadjne, lots of good suggestions looks like I got my work testing this weekend. Also what would you recommend for a fan that blows out the back of the case for the CPU? I remember reading about certain fans being so heavy they crack the motherboard lol

Afro, honestly this is my first venture into serious cooling. I was not even aware that could be done? All I know is the GPU turns into a jet engine when it approaches 80c

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well that looks to be the new Phanteks P400a Digital, (I'm jealous).

There's 2 coolers is recommend, both happen to be by beQuiet, the DarkRock 4 and the DarkRock TF. Both are excellent coolers that'll easily tame that i7-7700k. The Darkrock 4 is a standard tower, the TF is downdraft style, so looks a little like that Noctua.

But here's where it gets interesting. I don't see any other fans in your case other than the 3x intakes from the factory. You will need to add some, if using the tower you'll need an exhaust at rear and one above it, and if using the TF, then could be same or 2 on top instead.

But getting some exhaust fans is just as important as the appropriate size cpu cooler. The fans themselves aren't as important, you could use argb and tie into the front lighting, or from motherboard, or just plain, up to you.

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Well that looks to be the new Phanteks P400a Digital, (I'm jealous).

There's 2 coolers is recommend, both happen to be by beQuiet, the DarkRock 4 and the DarkRock TF. Both are excellent coolers that'll easily tame that i7-7700k. The Darkrock 4 is a standard tower, the TF is downdraft style, so looks a little like that Noctua.

But here's where it gets interesting. I don't see any other fans in your case other than the 3x intakes from the factory. You will need to add some, if using the tower you'll need an exhaust at rear and one above it, and if using the TF, then could be same or 2 on top instead.

But getting some exhaust fans is just as important as the appropriate size cpu cooler. The fans themselves aren't as important, you could use argb and tie into the front lighting, or from motherboard, or just plain, up to you.

I've come to find I get really annoyed not so much by the fan noise itself, but the actual change in the fan speeds. Is it possible to get the maximum cooling benefit from using a hub with a single fan speed for all the fans I end up putting in? Put them all up to 1800 and let them stay there rather than PWM?

Also to achieve positive pressure do all fans need to be at the same speed simultaneously? i.e. the front three, the rear fan and the top fans? Thanks!