[SOLVED] EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid, Ryzen 3700x, DDR4 3600mhz c16 - What motherboard !?

Feb 14, 2020
So I'm in the process of building a new RIG. Its not finalized now but I wanted to run the specs over with you guys for any suggestions, let me show you what I have so far.

GPU: EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (Not the final choice but I will get a 2080s of some sort with intentions of some overclocking)
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
PSU: 850w Corsair RM
SSD: Aorus 1tb NVMe
RAM: Team Group 8Pack Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15

So far I have the Gigabyte x570 aorus elite as my choice but Im thinking it might be a good idea to get an Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero? I really do not know much about MBs. Also worth noting this system will be in the enormous Cosmos 2 Tower case.

Thanks for your help

Solution
Unless there is a feature you need you are not going to see any benefit over a good B450 board like the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max. This type of board can easily OC a 3700X or run PBO, it’s been benchmarked running a 3950X at stock equally to a good X570.
Those two motherboards are in seperate categories. the aorus elite is considered a mid-tier board for the new AMD gen while the maximus hero is high-tier. Frankly you should just get whichever looks better to you and has the features you want. That being said, the aorus elite and it's other variant, the wifi version, is the best choice for its mid-range category while the maximus hero board is outshined by the x570 taichi. In the end you won't notice that much of a difference which board you choose in terms of overall performance since they're both highly capable boards and you only have a 3700X, but understand the category they're both in. The higher tier one simply provides better power regulators (VRM) which are meant for higher class CPUs like the 3900X and 3950X.

Reactions: SnoozeP30
Feb 14, 2020
Thank you both for your clarity. So from what I gather CPU aside, the other components of my system would work fine with no bottlenecking (GPU, SSD) on a B450 / Aorus elite and I would see no performance benefits on going for anything higher?

Thank you both for your clarity. So from what I gather CPU aside, the other components of my system would work fine with no bottlenecking (GPU, SSD) on a B450 / Aorus elite and I would see no performance benefits on going for anything higher?
There is no performance benefit over a good B450 motherboard. Just make sure the B450 board is either 3000 series ready (like the MSI Max range) or the motherboard has BIOS flashback allowing the BIOS to be updated without a cpu installed.

Ok thats good to know. Finally though, what about the RAM - I'm going with 3600mhz https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08q-tg.html

What sort of a card would I need to support such sticks?
You can check motherboard QVL lists for RAM that has been tested and guaranteed to work at rated speeds. I checked the Tomahawk Max and that RAM model is not listed https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK#support-cpu
However that does not mean it won't work, could be they never tested, they don't test all models on the market.

That RAM has some excellent timings but comes at a massive premium. While higher timings you can get 2x8gb CL18 for nearly half the price https://www.scan.co.uk/products/16g...600-non-ecc-unbuff-cas-18-135v-amd-ryzen-opti
I accept this is slower but for gaming we are talking a small fps difference at most. If you are really that concerned about squeezing out every frame then go i7 over Ryzen.

Now I have this set, twice the capacity and still cheaper than the Team set you listed
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/32g...600-3200-non-ecc-unbuff-cas-16-135v-amd-ryzen
Using a Tomahawk Max board I hand no trouble overclocking to 3600mhz at the same timings and slight voltage increase.

Feb 14, 2020
Thanks man that has really shed some light on my situation. I will certainly re-think on which to choose.

The first set does look like great value, but I am looking to run my LG 27GL850 at 144hz and I would like to keep graphics as high as possible to maintain this.

Furthermore I will be doing 'some' photoshop work but nothing serious.

The RAM you own, what different would going from 16gb to 32gb make? Those sticks look quite appealing.

''From some brief research it seems i would gain very little from going with a 32gb set over 16gb and the CL timing is more important for me?''

Thanks man that has really shed some light on my situation. I will certainly re-think on which to choose.

The first set does look like great value, but I am looking to run my LG 27GL850 at 144hz and I would like to keep graphics as high as possible to maintain this.

Furthermore I will be doing 'some' photoshop work but nothing serious.

The RAM you own, what different would going from 16gb to 32gb make? Those sticks look quite appealing.

''From some brief research it seems i would gain very little from going with a 32gb set over 16gb and the CL timing is more important for me?''

My 32gb isn’t currently for gaming, I’ve not seen any benchmarks show having more than 16gb benefits any games. I do use the pc for some heavy spreadsheets while multitasking, for this and future headroom I decided to go 32gb but I could have used 16gb.

I have the LG 27GL83A-B which is the same panel as yours and I also have a 2080 Super. The gpu is the limiting factor, COD MW is averaging 120fps with most settings on high and not ultra. If you were running 1080p 240Hz pushing extreme FPS then you might consider the investment in faster RAM worth it. Google some RAM benchmarks, I don’t see paying double as worth it especially at higher resolutions where you will be gpu bound.