[SOLVED] EVGA 3080 FTW Gaming Ultra PCI-E Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
I plan on upgrading myself to a 3080 specifically the EVGA FTW Ultra. (Whenever it comes in stock). However, I've read that you must or need to have 2 separate PCI-E 8-pin instead of a singular split type.

My PSU is a EVGA Supernova G2 750Watt.

Can anyone recommend me some cables for the PCI-E? Guessing, i'll be needing 2 separate cables that are 8-pin. I'm not exactly sure if I need a specific brand, or something.

Any guidance is appreciated <3.

Last edited:
Solution
6+2 IS 8pin.
One end will not be split: that's the end that's plugged into the psu - when using modular units.
The other end is split, thus the 6+2, and the end that's plugged into a gpu.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MfJwrH/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr
You should have 4x PCIe 6+2s. Didja lose some?
Check Cablemod for replacement cables - or call up EVGA, they may be able to hook you up.

3080 FTW3 requires 3x 8pin(6+2), leaving you with just 1 extra 8pin.

I've read that you must or need to have 2 separate PCI-E 8-pin instead of a singular split type.
There's no official statement to that, just a bunch of 'they said this, they said that', and preaching it like some kind of gospel.
Daisy chain/pigtail can be done, but it's a generally accepted recommendation to do separate cables if at all possible; 3 separate cables might not look as clean as 1 + a pigtail, but the load(power and heat) is easier on the cables.

Reactions: willifer707

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MfJwrH/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr
You should have 4x PCIe 6+2s. Didja lose some?
Check Cablemod for replacement cables - or call up EVGA, they may be able to hook you up.

3080 FTW3 requires 3x 8pin(6+2), leaving you with just 1 extra 8pin.

There's no official statement to that, just a bunch of 'they said this, they said that', and preaching it like some kind of gospel.
Daisy chain/pigtail can be done, but it's a generally accepted recommendation to do separate cables if at all possible; 3 separate cables might not look as clean as 1 + a pigtail, but the load(power and heat) is easier on the cables.
Thanks for getting back. So, I went to cablemod and I done the configurator thing they had. Which do you recommend me to get?:
M4lJH2G.png

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
The 'Dual PCIe' must be the pigtailed ones.
So I take it you did lose some cables.

The 6+2pin is what you need for the gpu.
I haven't checked yet. I will tomorrow to see if I have any extra PCIe cables. But if not, I just went on to check how much it would be etc.

So incase I do need to buy them. I should buy (3) of the 6+2pin? Why is that and not just 3 of the 8pins? (Just curious).

Also, thanks for the help. haha.

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
6+2 IS 8pin.
One end will not be split: that's the end that's plugged into the psu - when using modular units.
The other end is split, thus the 6+2, and the end that's plugged into a gpu.
Thanks. Then, i'll await to see what I got and hopefully just need to buy 1 instead of all 3. Or just buy 3 so they all look the same. xD. Whichever.

Thanks for the help. I'll end up if i have to buying 3 of the 6+2 PCIe cables for the 3080.

Status
Not open for further replies.