Question EVGA 3080 Ti acting odd ?

Drimmy

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I'm on a new EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra, i7 12700k, 32gb DDR5, 1000w PSU, Windows 11 and all drivers up to date. I DDU'd the graphics driver and reinstalled it as well. Yesterday I undervolted the GPU to 1950 @ 925 mV and ran Heaven benchmark and Timespy DX12 a few times each which all worked with no issues.

Come today I try to run 3dmark again and it just crashes the test, cleanly closing the benchmark with no artifacts or glitches. It also did this for some games and the factory default settings have the same issue. After a reboot, I tried lowering the clock today to 1925 @ 925 mV and tested Timespy again. I completed it 3 times with no issues at all so I thought it was stable, but a few hours later 2 games crashed (Deeprock Galactic and Elite Dangerous) in the same way by just closing instantly. I tried 3dmark after this and it's having the same issue despite working perfectly fine at these settings earlier in the day.

I'm not sure why it's stable and then later on it breaks. My temperatures are all good and nothing is overheating in the system. But the weird thing is other resource heavy games like Total War: Warhammer 3 don't crash specifically with the undervolt, even directly after 3dmark/other game crashes. So I'm having trouble figuring out if it's software or hardware related. Do you have any ideas?

Last edited:

Drimmy

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
If you remove the undervolt, does the GPU stabilize (just confirming)?

Also, what is the make/model of your PSU? Is your motherboard BIOS the most recent available for it?

It still has the same issue on factory settings. Actually, it crashes harder on factory settings by leaving black textures just before it happens. With undervolts the programs just cleanly close when they crash. Yet today none of my previously stable undervolt settings are stable anymore all of a sudden. The PSU is a seasonic Focus-GX1000w Gold. As for the BIOS, I used the Gigabyte software to autoupdate in windows but for some reason it did one that's two versions old. I'll have to try updating BIOS later and testing with the newest one. If those don't work then I'm probably going to try using an older GPU driver, and lastly installing Windows 10 and see how that goes.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your issue may be the Seasonic PSU itself. There are some known issues regarding high-end Nvidia GPUs and certain Seasonic PSUs. I have personally been through this.

I'll dig up a link from here on the site about it shortly. However, your best bet may be a PSU swap.

Google this string: nvidia gpu failure using seasonic psu

Drimmy

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Your issue may be the Seasonic PSU itself. There are some known issues regarding high-end Nvidia GPUs and certain Seasonic PSUs. I have personally been through this.

I'll dig up a link from here on the site about it shortly. However, your best bet may be a PSU swap.

Google this string: nvidia gpu failure using seasonic psu

Hmm, it does look like there are problems with 3000 cards. Unfortunately I don't have another PSU to test it with. But mentioning what sizzling said:

I thought I read this gpu has the power warning LED’s above the power plugs. These should turn red if there has been any power problems. After the benchmark crashes are these LED’s red?

I just tried another benchmark which crashed and the LEDs didn't light up at all. I'm also using three seperate power cables for the GPU.

Drimmy

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
By any chance are you using a pcie riser cable?

No, just the normal PCI cables from the PSU.

On another note, I plugged in the USB I used to install Windows 11 with and suddenly it was write protected when trying to format. I read this can be a sign the USB is faulty, so perhaps something broke while it was installing windows 11. After I update BIOS with another USB I'll definitely try installing a fresh OS if that doesn't fix it.

Drimmy

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
If those things don’t work it may be time to try a warranty claim. If the gpu can’t run stable at stock settings there may be a hardware fault.

Yep, current BIOS didn't help. I tried nvidia debug mode with no oc/undervolt and heaven benchmark completes but 3dmark still crashes. Total Warhammer 3 benchmark also crashes with black textures on both factory and debug mode. I'm probably just going to RMA now.

Edit: I'm also getting a nvlddmkm error in windows event viewer.

Last edited: