[SOLVED] EVGA 3090 XC3 Ultra

Jul 29, 2020
Hello all!

I don't know if anyone will be able to help me, but I've recently upgraded to a 3090, I was planning on getting a 3080 but got 3090 instead ☺

Pc specs
Ryzen 7 3800X
32GB corsair Ram 26666Hz
Corsair CX750M 750w power supply
X570 UD MB

My current monitor is 1080p I am upgrading to a 2/4k monitor! ☺

I upgraded from a 1080 where I averaged roughly 100 frames on warzone
60 frames on EFT

On the new 3090 I was expecting a lot higher on some games than what I am getting and I don't know what the issue is and I'm hoping someone here can help?

Warzone I get roughly 120 frames on 1080p ultra
EFT I'm getting roughly 90 frames on ultra

So there is an improvement but not as big as I was expecting? I know both these games are heavy cpu based but I ass wondering is there anything I can check to make sure I am getting the most out of my GPU?

I don't know if it's because I'm running it at 1080p and the gpu isn't really getting pushed or if it could be a power issue? I'm not getting any artifacts or any crashes! But any help would be really appreciated!

If I can get any logs please tell me which ones would be good to have!

Solution
A higher resolution will help as it's already suggested. Most 3000 series perform even worse than the 2000 in 1080p. They are just not meant for 1080p.

I would not trust my 1500$+++++++ gpu with a cx750m. It's a ok PSU but certainly if you can afford the GPU, you can afford a better and higher quality PSU. Don't forget that the 3000 series and especially 3090 has huge power spikes. You are a bit in the risking side.

Edit: You run a high end system with crippled performance from ram speed as well. Ryzen 3000 series love fast dual channel RAM with 3200MHz being very good and 3600MHz ideal.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azFYdiH9Hns

Adam Jelinek

Prominent
Oct 4, 2019
Well you answered your own question. It is because you are playing at 1080p where that is when the cpu works the most. If you changed to 1440p then you would see a bigger difference.

A higher resolution will help as it's already suggested. Most 3000 series perform even worse than the 2000 in 1080p. They are just not meant for 1080p.

I would not trust my 1500$+++++++ gpu with a cx750m. It's a ok PSU but certainly if you can afford the GPU, you can afford a better and higher quality PSU. Don't forget that the 3000 series and especially 3090 has huge power spikes. You are a bit in the risking side.

Edit: You run a high end system with crippled performance from ram speed as well. Ryzen 3000 series love fast dual channel RAM with 3200MHz being very good and 3600MHz ideal.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azFYdiH9Hns

Solution
Jul 29, 2020
Hello and thanks for the replies!

Any recommendations for the ram?
I am looking at getting a new monitor and new ram!

What PSU would you recommend? I've seen a few sites recommend a 850 but I'm not sure about brands. 😔

But ideally wanted to find out before I buy new parts what could be the issue!

For RAM you can see the recommendations here:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ram,4057.html

pick at least 3200 but if I were you I would definetely go for 3600 or above.

For PSU I too suggest a good 850w with recommendations in the first post of this thread:
Discussion - Power supply discussion and recommended models thread | Tom's Hardware Forum

You can advise this tier list as well, which for your components I suggest a tier A. You can go for tier B but it's not wise to skimp on a PSU, especially if it powers a 3090.
Tier list

Jul 29, 2020
I just need to find out what speeds my motherboard accept!

I think it accepts 3200 max without an overclock but I'm not 100% on how to find out? Can anyone help? 😂

Gigabyte 570xd ultra durable I'm pretty sure!

FarmerFran

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I just need to find out what speeds my motherboard accept!

I think it accepts 3200 max without an overclock but I'm not 100% on how to find out? Can anyone help? 😂

Gigabyte 570xd ultra durable I'm pretty sure!
I usually go the other way around. I might glance at the list on the MB website but I would go to the RAM makers site and see if the RAM you are choosing works on the MB

Like this...

RAM Configurator-G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd.

RAM Configurator-G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd.

Jul 29, 2020
Hey guys!

I'm back one last time... I can hope!

Framerfran/Dotas/Phaaze88

I have looked through the PSU list and have figured out which one i am going to buy! thanks for the recommendation on the list! it was very helpful!

The question I have here is

https://ibb.co/zsX939Z

It says Speed 4400 but over on the far right it says "native 2666", Does this mean that if i buy for example the

GP-ARS16G44 at 2666MHZ when I turn on my XMP2.0 Profile I'll actually get 4400 MHZ?

If i am reading this sheet wrong could someone explain? :)

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I'm back one last time... I can hope!

Framerfran/Dotas/Phaaze88

I have looked through the PSU list and have figured out which one i am going to buy! thanks for the recommendation on the list! it was very helpful!

The question I have here is

https://ibb.co/zsX939Z

It says Speed 4400 but over on the far right it says "native 2666", Does this mean that if i buy for example the

GP-ARS16G44 at 2666MHZ when I turn on my XMP2.0 Profile I'll actually get 4400 MHZ?

If i am reading this sheet wrong could someone explain? :)

Exactly what @Phaaze88 said. The mentioned module you asked about (GP-ARS16G44) , is indeed a native 2666 MHz (out of the box) and when XMP is enabled, it will run at 4400 MHz. I would suggest you buy a dual kit instead though. Kits are tested together for compatibility and they are guaranteed to work perfectly together, where as single sticks are not guaranteed to work (most times they do).

Joel_228

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
4400mhz when XMP is enabled MIGHT work. Quite a bit of testing has been done on these CPUs and Ram matches at this point. The sweet spot is 3600mhz CL16.

I tested mine with RAM from 3000 to 4000mhz. I wasted my time because all the info I found showed diminishing returns beyond 3600 to 3800. And that is exactly what I experienced at home on my own hardware. Just food for thought.

Jul 29, 2020
Guys!

you have all been amazing, i didn't go with that exact stick it was just at the top so was easy to crop out!

I have ordered 32GB (2*16GB) off of this list! with a base of 3600 and a XMP of 4200.

So i might be back if i cannot get the XMP to work correctly! (i actually thought i was pretty clued up on PCS.. but holy hell! this has shown i am not!)

thanks again!

Reactions: Joel_228
Jul 29, 2020
So then i am back again!

This time with new RAM... i don't really want to create a new post? but i can if needed.

so i bought this RAM which was on the list of supported Memory Sticks

KLEVV CRAS X RGB 32GB kit (16GB x2) Gaming Desktop DDR4 RAM Memory 3600MHz XMP 2.0 High Performance

These are on my list of support ram, but when i put my PC on the ram is defaulted to 2600Mhz? When i put the XMP Profile to Auto it sets it to 3600 MHZ which should be the standard speed of the Ram? but when XMP is on.. the PC will not boot??!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
2600 is the default speed.
In many cases of failed XMP activations, there are 2 things that can be done:
-simply increase the Dram channel(ABCD) voltage a little. If the XMP voltage is 1.35, manually enter an extra 0.01v, up to 1.40v.
-simply update the mobo's bios. The board may be using a earlier version that doesn't properly support that ram kit.
Oh, and just clear CMOS to recover from the no boot state.