EVGA 500B 500W Crackling sound

Jake_2

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
Hi guys, I've just began to notice crackling coming from my EVGA 500B 500W. I've ran the PC with the side door off and confirmed this is the location of the noise. I've no idea how long it;s been making this noise, as my PC was previously far away from me during use. I've notced that after continued gaming, the crackling becomes significantly louder.

I'm running a Zotac GTX980 amp! gpu, an i54590, and I've had the PC just under a year if it matters. Do you guys have any tips for me to perhaps eliminate the sound, or should I be looking for a new PSU? I've noticed 0 instability or weaker performance in the system.

Solution
Yes if you feel the PSU if failing then have it tested to avoid possible damage to your MB or CPU. If it still has warranty then RMA the unit should it not be functioning efficiently. Maybe fan Bearings are making the noise or components within. Have it checked.

NocturnalPing

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
I would recommend to replace, or If your PSU is within warranty, RMA it. In the mean time, I personally would stay away from using that PC, you dont want to further damage other components if the PSU is on its way out.

Yes if you feel the PSU if failing then have it tested to avoid possible damage to your MB or CPU. If it still has warranty then RMA the unit should it not be functioning efficiently. Maybe fan Bearings are making the noise or components within. Have it checked.

Solution

Jake_2

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

My performance isn't suffering, I'm just noticing a crackling noise coming from the PSU. Is there any way I can run a test my self to see if it's damaged or perhaps under too much load?

Well to me the PSU is either overheating or internals are failing under load.
You can test its efficiency using a stress tester in Windows and monitoring the rails under stress. I use HWMonitor, there are various stress testers.
The only way to really see if its failing is to Swap it out with a known working unit, as I don't think you would have a multi-meter test rig to test it under load.
Unfortunately it's RMA time and if you keep running it you run the risk of further damage.

Jake_2

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

I can't seem to find a section in HWMonitor for my PSU, or a stress test section.

I use AIDA64 to stress the system and look at the Voltages on each rail. You can determine voltage droop and its efficiency under load during the test.
However that will not tell you if something internally is about to fail. Your nose and ears are better at that. no joke.
AIDA64 is trial software and a very good stress tester. I set them up like in this desk top pic: http://imgur.com/MurCQWh

NocturnalPing

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

Glad to help, hope all goes well for you.