Question EVGA 550 B3 and Vega 56

LukaAvicii

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
Hi
couple years ago I built my first PC using PSU: EVGA 550 and GPU: AsRock Vega 56
during the first three months I used to get sudden shut off problems, like when i'm playing ac: oddysey or some strong game the PC suddenly shuts off and I have to turn it on again
at first I thought it was just the power cable and used another but the same problem happened, changed the place and the problem still happens
after a while when I turn on the PC it just doesn't get any signal, tried different DP and HDMIs but the same
the GPU lights and fans are on and the PC seems to be working fine but there's no signal (there's a red led called VGA that was on the motherboard)

then I bought a different GPU: GTX 1660 Ti and that worked perfectly with no issues at all, I have it now for a year and it's working fine
I still have the VEGA 56 around and I was wondering...
is the problem because of the Power Supply? I thought the GPU needed more power
that I might need 650w or 750w?

I'm thinking about buying a new PSU if that's the case, I just need you guys to assure me that this is the problem

btw sorry if my english is bad

Lutfij

Titan
Yes the issue was due to your PSU being unable to deliver power to the entire system while having a Vega 56 in the system. In fact you should've invested in a 650W reliably built PSU for your build if you intended to hold onto the Vega 56 GPU. in order for you to get a better guideline of what PSU you need, we're going to need a little more detail from you.

List your full system's specs. then mention where you're located, what sort of a budget you have allocated and what your preferred site for purchase is.

As for specs, list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

LukaAvicii

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
Yes the issue was due to your PSU being unable to deliver power to the entire system while having a Vega 56 in the system. In fact you should've invested in a 650W reliably built PSU for your build if you intended to hold onto the Vega 56 GPU. in order for you to get a better guideline of what PSU you need, we're going to need a little more detail from you.

List your full system's specs. then mention where you're located, what sort of a budget you have allocated and what your preferred site for purchase is.

As for specs, list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Thx for the fast reply

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: MSI B450M gaming plus
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8) 3000
SSD: Silicon Power 120GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
GPU: AsRock Vega 56
PSU: EVGA 550 B3 Bronze
Case: Cooler Master Q300L

I live in Saudi Arabia, and I prefer to buy from Amazon, I actually bought everything from Newegg at the time but now it doesn’t have Free shipping to my country so I’d prefer to use amazon

LukaAvicii

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
Well it is all about power consumption and VEGA cards were power hungry versus the 1660 not so much as seen here http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Would you recommend buying a new power supply for it to work? do you think there’s a high possibility that it’s gonna work with a higher psu?

edit: I don’t have any other PC to test the gpu with, visited most stores in my city they wouldn’t test it, so I don’t have any other option but to buy a new power supply

LukaAvicii

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
Btw I’m connecting the graphics card to the power supply with a 2x8 pin from the gpu side and 8 pin to the psu side (one cable)
Idk if that has to do with the problem but I thought I’d mention it

Would you recommend buying a new power supply for it to work? do you think there’s a high possibility that it’s gonna work with a higher psu?

edit: I don’t have any other PC to test the gpu with, visited most stores in my city they wouldn’t test it, so I don’t have any other option but to buy a new power supply
Really up to you the 1660Ti is very close to it in performance https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-ventus-xs/28.html
Maybe a chance to get good price for your Vega card on the used market while prices are inflated.
In any case here is a good deal on Amazon although it is not EVGA's best it is still a reliable unit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017HA3SQ8?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

LukaAvicii

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
Really up to you the 1660Ti is very close to it in performance https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-ventus-xs/28.html
Maybe a chance to get good price for your Vega card on the used market while prices are inflated.
In any case here is a good deal on Amazon although it is not EVGA's best it is still a reliable unit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017HA3SQ8?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

yeah that’s what I was thinking, I just wanted to make sure the Vega works so that I can sell it.
Anyway I couldn’t buy the PSU in the link you sent and I kept searching then found a good unit (i think), which is EVGA 750 BQ (96$)
It’s actually 49.99 but the shipping costs a lot.
It is expected to arrive in 16th August.

Once it arrives I’ll test it out and write down the result here, Thx a lot!

LukaAvicii

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
Update:
Unfortunately it didn’t work, I tried with a new 750w psu and it still has the same problem.
VGA led on the motherboard still on.
Fans and everything else is working, but no display.
2196-BAA2-30-E1-45-D5-81-B7-5-B134542-B4-A0.jpg

1278-C110-F6-D6-45-C6-81-ED-4363-C6-FD10-A3.jpg

Is it possible that the GPU is dead?
Or is it fixable somehow?