EVGA 670 FTW 4GB vs. 7970

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

datguy88

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hello, I have been looking to finalize my first gaming build after a year of saving up, and after believing the GT670 FTW 4GB was the way to go, I stumbled across some of the 7970s at very close prices. Not to mention, they are giving away Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, and Sleeping Dogs which I am completely excited for.

Could anyone please tell me which they have found to be better, the 670 or the 7970, and if its the 7970, which one? Also, should Physx, drivers, and planning to SLI/CF in the future play a role in which card to get?

Thank you for any answers as I really want to get into high end gaming, so choosing a card with 3GB+ for vram is a must as I want to max out Battlefield 3 and GTA V when it (hopefully) releases on PC; also, I plan on using many graphic intensive mods like ICEnhanncer GTA IV which are heavy in the vram usage department. I will also be getting an i5 3570k if that helps.

Once again, any tips that can be given would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
From what I've seen with the new AMD drivers, the 7970 is closer to the GTX 680 than GTX 670 is to the 7970 in performance.

What resolution will you be gaming at?

One display or multiple?

Do you already have PSU to back up the upgrade?

ProVisionOman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Really? I am buying a 7970 for myself and I am getting the Sapphire TOXIC 6GB because I will do some Maya and the VRAM is important. So do you think that's a good buy? If the 680 had that VRAM I would've gone for it and also the computing performance of the 7970 is just astonishing. :)

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
The gtx 670 is better than the 925mhz hd 7970.
When u apply latest drivers for hd 7970 and also latest drivers for the 670, the gap closes but still gtx 670 manges to pull ahead of the 7970 in a relative performance basis.
The graphs dscudella showed didn't include 310.33 drivers mind it.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
The 310.33 drivers didn't effect the 670 in any way, shape or form. I already posted that. Only the GTX 660 and GTX 680 were effected and only in certain games. The impact of the drivers were so small that no one is even re running benchmarks.

I'll quote Nvidia again:

This is a beta driver from the new GeForce R310 family of drivers.

New in R310 Drivers:

Performance Boost – Increases performance for GeForce 400/500/600 Series GPUs in several PC games vs. GeForce 306.97 WHQL-certified drivers. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration:

GeForce GTX 680:
Up to 11% in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Up to 6% in StarCraft II
Up to 6% in Batman: Arkham City
GeForce GTX 660:
Up to 6% in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Up to 3% in Batman: Arkham City
Up to 4% in Dragon Age II

Techpowerups 310.33

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

LOL I agree whole heartedly.

I just found this

Performance Improvements

We’ve increased performance in numerous games over the past year, and today we’re increasing performance yet again, with gains of up to 7.5% on the GTX 660, and 15.7% on the GTX 680. Other GTX 600 Series products will see gains also, though the extent of those improvements will of course vary and be further influenced by a user’s software and hardware configuration.

The percentage increases weren't given and the GTX 670 wasn't even represented.

Usually when a companys release new drivers. they don't always post every single card that was affected and by how much because it'd be too long of a list. So just because they didn't say oh 670 this 670 this. and instead posted 680 this 680 this doesn't mean that the 670 "Was not" improved with the newest driver. If the OP wanted a 680.. you wouldn't have even mentioned this list because it would go against your evidence in court. Court? yes because thats exactly what people like you turn these threads into... nothing but FANBOY aruging when the original poster just wants a quick answer doesn't need to know clock for clock, which one pisses further... just needs to know WHICH CARD is best

RussK1

Splendid
Uh oh! The nVidia crowd is maaad! AMD wins in price and performance. :lol:

Here I'll repost:

12.11 vs 310.33

Untitled-14.jpg

http://technewspedia.com/geforce-gtx-680-geforce-310-33-vs-radeon-hd-7970-catalyst-12-11-ghz-edition/

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=32344&page=3

More:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1322119/12-11-vs-310-33

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=310.33+vs+12.11

To quote a user:

Wow the 680 actually got pwned.

I won't even mention the widening of the gap when Compute is considered...

Thanks for posting these i been wondering hopefully http://www.guru3d.com/
www.hardocp.com/
www.anandtech.com/
www.hardwarecanucks.com
www.techpowerup.com/
will post up to date benchmarks soon as those are places i trust :)

RussK1

Splendid

I know what you're saying... but everywhere I look I see the 7970 winning over the 680... for someone to say the 670 is even a factor is delusional at best. The whole fallacy of "believe" when everything proves otherwise... and before this someone chimes in, I'm not saying this being "fanboy" (I don't have an AMD/nVidia avatar calling other people "fanboys", which is funny I have to admit) but rather it's the cold hard truth; whether someone likes it or not.

Well amd new drivers plus the three free games make it to card to pass on but still doesn't make 660 or 670 bad choice if you prefer NV.The price is fair imo.I am a fan of both i try not to sip red/green drink to much.I bought 670's because at the time they were better bang for buck then 7970 i bought my son Sapphire's HD 7950 Vapor-X comes with a large dual-fan cooler that uses the company's famous vapor-chamber technology. On the Vapor-X you will also find a "Lethal Boost" button which switches to a second BIOS with higher clock speeds. With this BIOS, clocks are increased to 950 MHz GPU and 1250 MHz memory.He really likes his card i am pretty fond of it myself lol but my point is to much argue about which is better both companies make great cards really and you couldn't go wrong either way :)

Words spoken from a true enthusiast

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

LMAO he agrees with the other Nvidia fanboy but when I correct myself and post something on the 670 (which I shouldn't do because that would incriminate me "in court")

Performance Improvements

We’ve increased performance in numerous games over the past year, and today we’re increasing performance yet again, with gains of up to 7.5% on the GTX 660, and 15.7% on the GTX 680. Other GTX 600 Series products will see gains also, though the extent of those improvements will of course vary and be further influenced by a user’s software and hardware configuration.

you can't be found. Funny thing is, the thread is about the 670 vs 7970. If the thread was about the 680 vs the 7970 we would be having a different conversation. Keep on posting asinine comments, it suits your style.

Who are you calling the other Nvidia fanboy ?This thread needs to be closed it's getting to be to ridiculous imo.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
See what these threads turn into. It starts out civil. Then someone posts antiquated benchmarks with old drivers quoting their card is better. Someone rebuts with the correct benchmarks done by a reputable site. Then all it takes is one person to say "nuh uh, mines faster because I have it" and then the whole thread goes to garbage.

If being called a fanboy means that I've linked numerous benchmarks that put Product A over Product B repeatedly and in every scenario, then yes, I guess I'm a fanboy.

I can also continue to back up all my statements, just like RussK1, with solid benchmarks while other people can use the "nuh uh" argument.

Right, and he clearly was pointing at the 680 vs 7970 because of what he said about the 680 was the only thing mentioned in the drivers junk and because the 670 wasn't mentioned then its not worth of consideration, I think we should just start closing thread about Green team **** card vs Red team **** card because it just turns into a fan boy vs fanboy clock for clock fps for dollar BULL ***

It should be more like- < this one thank you come again :hello:

but instead its : which do you guys think i should get? *two seperate fan boys enter room* argue and debtate like an election debate. and the original poster has to wait it out until one side gives up and feeds them their Bull ***

Status
Not open for further replies.