eVGA 6800GS came 350/1000 out of box?!

jhkokst

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Hello.

I recently put together a new computer. My video card is a 6800 GS by eVGA. I got it cus i heard it was a great bargain and easily overclocked. However, when i ran the diagnostic program Everest (i was trying to see cpu temps etc.) i noticed that it read the gpu core as 350 Mhz. This seems wrong, as its supposed to be 425/1000 out of the box.

Now, is this a bum card (ie. should i call evga and complain) or can this be remedied by by messing around with Rivatuner/coolbits. I got it off newegg, and i saw in the reviews there that someone else experienced the same thing (350/1000 out of box) but that his overclocking software recognized its 425 capabilities.

If it can be solved by oc'ing software, which program is recommended and what must i do. I've never oced in the past, but i heard its not too difficult and that the 6800 gs is an oc'ing "beast".

Do i need to mess around in the bios at all? or does riva tuner take care of all that.

In case it matters i have an intel 945 P mobo. I haven't updated its drivers/bios that i know of.

Lastly, what is considered a good temp to not go above if i do overclock. Right now it idles at ~39 and hits the low 50s under load.

Anyways, any info is greatly appreciated....as you can see...im no expert.

Thanks

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
good choice for the motherboard..... prescott 90nm is good cpu...
as for the video card ...since you got that one ... you stick with it
it`s ok......
i think too it`s 350/1000...if you consider clocking it higher mind the temperatures and don`t go too far ..... max 10% for the memory and lets say 15% for gpu...you have to be very carefully.......you can use riva tuner and set the cooler on auto.......
if you consider higher performances try to clock a little the ram memory...tune those timings.....try to pinch down the CAS and each time check the sistem stability..you can also boost the fsb a little ..but be carefully few % not higher..and always keep your mind on VID and other vital voltages...OC is a tricky nasty business..sometimes a little means a lot in performance boost
945p has plenty of tools for OC .... try ctrl+f1 and access the performance tab......also check the RGB and C.I.A options....you could also try to disable the EIST, C1E, and TM functions (those reduce the frequency of the cpu when not needed)

good luck

jhkokst

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
That doesn't totally answer my question.

The card was supposed to be 425/1000 out of box, i mean thats manufacturers specs.

If i just run coolbits will that detect the best settings?

Also, my chip is a pentium d920.

So i guess the plan is download the latest mobo drives, download coolbits, and see what happens from there?

jhkokst

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I kinda misunderstood your posts. But i think i follow now.

Yeah i just want to get my video card running at specs...maybe a bit higher, just cus everyone says the 6800 GS is good at ocing. First id like to get it to run at 425/1050 (the specs) THen perhaps, just for shits n giggles, id run it at 450/1100 or something....no more, and ill probably just leave it running at 425/1050 unless i see performance declining in new cutting edge games or something.

As for the FSB and Ram. I have an Intel brand board. I hard there are OC'ing limitations on intel branded boards (as opposed to asus/abit/ etc) and honestly, performance wise i find it to be really fast. I have 2 gigs of DDR2 533 Valueram. Yeah its not the best timings....but im fine with that and ocing the ram and chip is not my priority. Like i said, im just trying to to get my card to run properly, and maybe a lil faster. So in order to do that...i just need coolbits correct?

Is there a certain temp i should mind. Like not above 70 under load? 60? etc.

Thanks guys