EVGA 6801-NF68-A1 vs. MSI P6N Diamond

squatpuke

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
I like both these boards...

I was wondering a couple of things about the NF68-A1 board...

Does it have a lifetime support/warranty?

Can it handle RAID/5?

Does it have eSATA?

(the MSI has onboard Creative X-FI sound) - - Was wondering about the Azaila sound from NF68-A1.

I've heard the support from EVGA is TOP-NOTCH and the overall price is lower.

Thanks for your replies.

alarinn

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
evga 680i mobo is not bad. Currently there are issues related to frying memory that evga/nVidia are working on. From what research I have down the past 6 weeks it seems all 680i mobos have a flaw that renders memory unusable over time. The time is inconsistent, but it does happen within a few months. It occurs with all forms of memory, from cheap value brand, to expensive top-of-the-line ram. Some have said it's because the ram is overvolted too high (even tho the ram states to run it at 2.4 volts). Some even state that their ram was frind even undervolted. Until they figure it out I would refrain from buying any 680i mobo.

shk

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
evga 680i mobo is not bad. Currently there are issues related to frying memory that evga/nVidia are working on. From what research I have down the past 6 weeks it seems all 680i mobos have a flaw that renders memory unusable over time. The time is inconsistent, but it does happen within a few months. It occurs with all forms of memory, from cheap value brand, to expensive top-of-the-line ram. Some have said it's because the ram is overvolted too high (even tho the ram states to run it at 2.4 volts). Some even state that their ram was frind even undervolted. Until they figure it out I would refrain from buying any 680i mobo.
LOL are you serious? ANY 680i motherboard? :lol:

alarinn

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
LOL are you serious? ANY 680i motherboard? :lol:

Yep, any and all 680i mobos. I'm not about to shell out $200+ for a mobo that works only by undervolting/underclocking. That's equivalent to buying a Lamborgini and told you are not able to hit 100 in it until they figure out what's causing the engine to blow.

squatpuke

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
thanks alarinn for your warning...

I googled this problem and it does seem legit...and it's making me consider another chipset...

I've also read that it was a problem with earlier revisions of the 680i, and BIOS updates have rectified the problem. Althought neither RAM manufacturers or nVidia are fessing any blame. The jury is still out on if it's poor RAM construction on 2.X voltage spec'd RAM or if its intermittent voltage spikes from the 680i chipset.

Not sure...

quietfly

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I have the MSI board and the only issue i have had is the vista drivers for the on board raid i'm currently OC'ing my 6420 to 2.9 gHz and have had a rock solid build under windows xp.

quietfly

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I have the MSI board and the only issue i have had is the vista drivers for the on board raid i'm currently OC'ing my 6420 to 2.9 gHz and have had a rock solid build under windows xp.