Question EVGA 750 BQ 80+ somewhat noisy when under load

fishyjack

Commendable
Jul 21, 2021
I kinda know my way around computers and managed to scrape together enough cash for a completely new rig. Build is currently 1.5 months old. Specs -

-Windows 10 Pro (Ryzen Balanced Power Plan)
-MSI Tomahawk Max II
-Gigabyte GTX 970 (GPU is second-hand from a friend, purchased in 2017, saw extensive use for about 2ish years then replaced and dormant for 2ish years before given to me)
-Ryzen 5 3600 (Stock cooler)
-Corsair LPX 16gig ddr4 (AMD-variant)
-EVGA 750 BQ 80+ (PSU is bottom-mounted, fan facing down)
-Samsung 870 EVO SSD (250g and 2tb)
-LianLi Lancool 205 case
-2x Noctua NFP-12 Redux Intake fans
-2x LianLi Exhaust fans
-No RGB
-No overclocking
-Tripp Lite Isobar 2-6D Surge Protector

My problem currently is that when under load, I hear an audible buzzing from my PSU. I've tested it across World of Tanks, Overwatch and Gears 5. What I don't know is how long this has been occurring, it could've started 2 days ago or it could've been like this day 1. It's been stupidly hot so I have multiple fans on in and outside my room, combined with my headphones it drowns out all noise from my PC. The noise is only audible when all room fans are off, door is closed and my headphones are off. I'm sitting roughly 2 feet away from my tower and the sound is barely audible, I can only faintly hear it over my case fans under load from where I sit. I unfortunately have sensitive hearing so I picked up on it immediately. The case sits on wood, with 4 rubber studs that give it about 1 inch of clearance off the ground. The PSU vent on the case has a dust cover.

View: https://soundcloud.com/gongoozler/psunoisewav

I've recorded the sound best I could with my mic. I'm unsure if this is coil whine or not because to me it sounds like a fan motor. Soundcloud link is a little weird I know but I didn't feel like dealing with drive or dropbox. EDIT: The mic was around a few millimeters away from the PSU, held around the center of the rear plate/grate.

I've done a bit of research into the EVGA BQ series and found that apparently they're usually loud because the fans are huge. The first few youtube videos I found support that claim. This video specifically, at 1:45 is a bit identical to my situation, granted there's no buzzing on his end as far as I can tell. He mentions the PSU pulls about 300 watts from the wall to produce that much noise, which is also the near exact situation for mine. Mine is also moving large amounts of air but its not hot or even warm under load. Newegg/Amazon reviews also mention that the PSU is .. yeah, loud. I bought this PSU as part of a bundle from MicroCenter.

My question ; is this potentially a problem or is it a harmless noise? If this is a normal/harmless noise, I can deal with it because I usually always have headphones and another fan going in my room. I'd really rather not go through the process of RMA, I'm in weird spot where it's pretty difficult to ship things out. I also have had extremely bad luck with PSUs where RMA'd replacements end up having the same exact issue.

As said, this only happens when under load. No other programs run in the bg (except telegram and discord on occasion) when I'm gaming. When idle there's virtually zero noise from the psu aside from the air flow. I have to really strain and plant my ear against the exhaust grate to hear anything at all. I haven't had any crashes/restarts and no strange smells. The case is clean and as tidy as I can make it, everything is securely connected. I monitor my hardware temps constantly, there's no overheating occurring. I'm honestly hoping it's just the case of a loud fan.

Last edited:

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I don't know where your recording that from. So hard to tell.

Your going have more Nosie out of the cheaper PSU's. EVGA I like the P2 or T2 or G2.

if you can hear that from 3-4 feet away like that, I say yea that unit has some noise and I would try to RMA it. Or return it and go up a teir in PSU. Then again it could run for the 25 years like this with no issues. hard to tell over the computer screen.