Evga 760 SC Gpu Upgrade? Wait for pascal?

Alciel

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: No Date, looking for advice

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming first, to max out absolutely every setting including gameworks.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: LSP Ultra Professional 750, Upgrading the PSU soon to a http://

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Z87 G-45 MSI Gaming, 4770k Oced 4.5Ghz, Hyper 212 Evo

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any as long as its in USD, NewEgg/Amazon. USA, Tennessee

PARTS PREFERENCES: No prefrence as long as it can max out every setting on the absolute highest it can go.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE:Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080, 1440p in the future.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want to max every setting possible at 1080p, for example, Witcher 3 Hairworks, Fallout 4 Godrays, Ultra Modded Skyrim with ENB. My current GPU is a Geforce GTX 760 SC with the ACX cooling. I also want to have better frame rates in the MMORPG Blade and Soul for NA. Currently in a hard raid I drop to 10 FPS from 80 when there's not alot of people around.

**Edit** I would like at least 60 Fps at 1080p with everything maxed.

Solution
I would probably wait till pascal. Wanting to max out titles at 1440p, you would need a GTX 980ti, at minimum, and even then some titles are going to be so poorly coded, nothing will give you what you want performance wise.

I would check your game settings, and try lowering, or disabling certain features. I know in WoW, I generally get quite the improvement by turning shadows down to low, for instance. You are way above the recommended requirements for that game. https://support.bladeandsoul.com/hc/en-us/articles/205500389-System-Requirements

If I am not mistaken, that game is still in Beta stages. I wouldn't upgrade your GPU, just to improve performance in a game that isn't even technically done yet, either.
Here is what I would do:

Buy EVGA P2 850 power supply
Buy EVGA b-stock GTX 970 SC+ GAMING ACX 2.0
Sell EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX on Ebay; you can get at least $100-$150.

EVGA P2 850
$109.99 after $30.00 rebate card
* 10 year warranty, platinum efficiency, fully modular, enough wattage for two 980 Ti's in SLI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438056&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=evga_p2_850-_-17-438-056-_-Product

EVGA b-stock GTX 970 SC+ GAMING ACX 2.0
$266.72 ($249 GPU + $16.73 shipping)
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2977-RX

Total purchase
: $406.71 ($139.99 PSU + $266.72 GPU)

* The power supply will last you years, and the graphics card would be a great stop-gap until Pascal releases.
! Please note that that particular model won't easily SLI, so if you plan to SLI another 970 in the future, then skip this model.

*** EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX used sold listings ***
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=evga+gtx+760+acx&LH_ItemCondition=4&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xevga+gtx+760+acx+%28sc%2Csuperclocked%29.TRS0&_nkw=evga+gtx+760+acx+%28sc%2Csuperclocked%29&_sacat=0

*** EVGA GTX 970 and SLI compatibility ***
https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59534

* After you sell your GTX 760, then you'll only be out of pocket $256.71 - $306.71. That is what I would do.

@Alciel, Very Important: If you want that b-stock card, then you must purchase immediately; Tonight. Those cards sell out in a matter of hours. If you sleep on it, then it will almost certainly be sold out by the time you wake up in the morning. Also the price on the power supply is a great promotion that's been going on for about a week. It might be there until Friday but no way to know. I recommend that you jump on both deals, if you agree with my suggestions. But I can't emphasize enough the the GTX 970 b-stock will sell out shortly.

Well that 760 you have is quite slow in comparison to a GTX 970 or higher. The rest of your rig is solid (once you upgrade the PSU) so a GPU upgrade is all you need. 970 to 980 to 980ti offers better performance for more money. Generally speaking anything above a 970 is usually considered overkill for 1080P @ 60 gaming, but if you're an absolute ultra-or-nothing kind of gamer then maybe you can justify spending up on a higher end card.

Just a comment - IMHO (and respectfully) ultra-or-nothing gaming is pretty silly. Often you'd be hard pressed to pick the difference between neighbouring detail settings if you had them in a side-by-side comparison with two people playing and you just trying to guess which one is which. Let alone when you're in the game without a comparison. Ultra-or-nothing costs you a lot of money. For example, a 970 would be a very significant upgrade on your current card and would just about max out just about every game on the market. There would be the occasional setting in the odd game which might need to be dialled back slightly. Sure, you could step up to a 980ti which would probably get you those extra settings, but you've effectively paid around $300 for those couple of settings - which, as I said above I'm not convinced you could pick if the two were side by side.

But that's effectively your options. GTX 970 now nets you 95% of what you want. A much more expensive 980ti gets you what you want at 1080P (it'd be similarly unable to get ultra from time-to-time at 1440P). Or you put up with your 760 and wait for Pascal, which could be substantially faster. Depends what matters most to you.

@rhysiam, I agree that attempting to achieve ultra graphics sometimes defies financial logic sometimes. Unfortunately I'm one of those people that want to see every single detail as sharp is possible. For example, many people think that "ultra" is the highest graphics setting in Witcher 3. There is actually a hidden setting called "Uber". You have to enable it from the INI file or you can download a free utility to do it for you. And I'll play GTA 5 on my 3440 x 1440 with Nvidia SDR (Super Dynamic Resolution) set to 2.5x. This setting annihilates my GPUs but the graphical detail is amazing. I'm a little obsessed with PC hardware. Respect man.

Alciel

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I've heard of the 970s but don't they have a 3.5Vram Limit? Wont that eventually hurt me? Or does the 3.5 limit not matter as much as I think it does? I don't mind SLI or Cross fire, I just want something that can max games currently on 1080p.

If you say that I wont be able to tell the difference then I'd say that you'd be right about that. I just want the assurance knowing that my setup can max out everything I throw at it at its resolution. I want to future proof as much as possible but I'm concerned about running out of vram, especially if I upgrade eventually to 1440.

What I know now is that, my current card cant handle Modded Skyrim with ENB as well as I would like it to, so I'm now looking for advice.

I've also seen comparisons of the R9 390 that is a contender for the 970, but I'm not sure there will be any more optimizations driver wise for the 390 chip set. I think I saw a youtuber saying that the current chip is as optimized as its going to be for that chip.

@Alciel, I don't know what to tell you. The two products that I recommended are world class. I think the b-stock 970 is a great purchase to hold you over until Pascal releases. I wouldn't spend anymore money than that, when new technology is just around the corner. All I can offer is my honest opinion. I just noticed that I forgot to include the b-stock link in my post above. I will place it there and also below.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2977-RX

And if that's your thing and you've got the finances to support it... good luck to you!

The issue for me is that I've known a few people over the years who have become obsessed to the point of addiction with PC hardware (and cars too... it's kinda similar actually). They have to have the absolute latest and a visit to those "video settings" menus is like a hit for a junkie... but their self-esteem simply cannot cope with having to drop even one slider down one step. The issue is that it can be pretty destructive if you haven't got the disposable income to fuel the habit.

But for sure, if that's your hobby and you can fund it, have fun!

Can I suggest that the issue with your plan is that you're trying to buy something that's "future proof" when new cards are going to be released fairly soon. Moore's Law is based on the prediction that transistor density doubles every two years, and we've been stuck at the same density now on graphics cards for more than four years. The next gen cards will be a double die-shrink (because the previous shrink had serious flaws that made it unsuitable for graphics cards), so everyone is hanging out for some (hopefully!) pretty significant performance gains. HBM memory will be a thing on all high end cards too and we should get more mature DX12 support across the board.

So the question is, why spend heaps of money now on a 980ti or even an SLI setup that you want to last years and years? Why not spend a bit of money on a 970, which is a really signficant upgrade and will get you almost what you want (high to ultra, but not absolute ultra all the time), and wait and see. If/when the 970 isn't cutting it, OR, if/when you upgrade to a 1440P monitor, you'll have a whole new generation of cards to choose from and you'll have money left over that you could have spent now, but decided to save, which will put you in a decent spot to get the right solution for you.

That's my suggestion and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it's rcald's suggestion too.

**edit -> I should really say it was rcald's suggestion first :)

logainofhades

Titan
I would probably wait till pascal. Wanting to max out titles at 1440p, you would need a GTX 980ti, at minimum, and even then some titles are going to be so poorly coded, nothing will give you what you want performance wise.

I would check your game settings, and try lowering, or disabling certain features. I know in WoW, I generally get quite the improvement by turning shadows down to low, for instance. You are way above the recommended requirements for that game. https://support.bladeandsoul.com/hc/en-us/articles/205500389-System-Requirements

If I am not mistaken, that game is still in Beta stages. I wouldn't upgrade your GPU, just to improve performance in a game that isn't even technically done yet, either.

Solution