[SOLVED] EVGA 850w clicks and then boots. Just got RTX 3090, 2 separate vga cables, no piggy backing. The PSU will click a couple of times and then computer bo

lacroserocks

Reputable
Dec 2, 2016
EVGA 850w gold. Just got an Nvidia RTX3090. 2 vga cables, no piggy back.

PSU will click a couple of times and then boot without issue. The clicks worry me. I have not had a chance to open it back up and double check all the cables and what not.

I am planning on getting a 1000w in a week so I don't have to worry when I put GPU under a high load.

Solution
For a 3090 bump up to a 1200w PSU , Here is a Linustechtips list of PSU LINK at the bottom of tier A PSU Seasonic recommends over provision wattage for the 3090 to 1200w.

At this point why buy a 1000w and hope it fixes the issue, thin if it doesnt have to turn around and buy another bigger one.
The clicking may be some sort of built in protection for the PSU for high inrush current.
I wouldn't use it.....especially with a replacement coming in a week.
I wouldn't want to risk damaging the 3090.
The reason I wouldn't use it....is there may be some transient voltage associated with the clicking.
I just wouldn't want the risk.

For a 3090 bump up to a 1200w PSU , Here is a Linustechtips list of PSU LINK at the bottom of tier A PSU Seasonic recommends over provision wattage for the 3090 to 1200w.

At this point why buy a 1000w and hope it fixes the issue, thin if it doesnt have to turn around and buy another bigger one.

Solution